SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
volcoff

few questions on Pachira (money tree) and ficus elastica

volcoff
8 years ago

Hello,

I have a money tree that was originally braided and in regular soil. As most of the other braids died off (partly because of braiding and likely partly because of nondraining soil), about a year ago I replanted it in a pot with gritty mix (pine bark, perlite, pumice, with black lava rock on top). It already had many small shoots on its trunk which have since grown larger.

1. Should this definitely be repotted? I notice some of the inner and bottom leaves turning yellow (but not falling off). I imagine at some point the canopy may be too large for the roots system. Even if I repot it, is it necessary to trim any of the side shoots/branches if I don't want to? I do regularly fertilize about once a week with foliage pro.

2. I discovered that this money tree, and to a greater degree another (in lava rock, pumice, and pine bark), has spider mites. I've actually seen them on the other smaller tree as well as droplets of sap, and now I am beginning to see droplets of sap on this tree. What is the best treatment? I sprayed the smaller tree once with "Bonide Eight" which has permethrin 0,02% as its active ingredient.

3. For this ficus elastica, is it normal to have so many separate trees branches or should I separate them? Bought it about a month ago. No signs of mites yet but a bit afraid of spread to this and numerous (too many) other house plants.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (12)