SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bernardyjh

Help with Echeverias ID posted on Ebay

bernardyjh
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Echeveria #1

It says E. Johnsonii - but a few quick google searches shows otherwise.

Another name as this link suggest it to be E. Bakeri

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECHEVERIA-JOHNSONII-VERY-EASY-TO-GROW-DROUGHT-TOLERANT-SUCCULENT-PLANT-/201344502780?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item2ee1114bfc

Echeveria #2

They posted this as E. Pollux, but a regular plant does not look like this. I'm guessing its either they force the plant to grow compactly or its probably a hybrid with topsy turvy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECHEVERIA-POLLUX-VERY-UNIQUE-LOOKING-DROUGHT-TOLERANT-SUCCULENT-PLANT-/191587119777?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item2c9b7b72a1

They are both very pretty plants, and I plan to get them. But I just want to make sure of their names before I commit to it.

All comments and input are very much welcomed!

Bernard

Comments (73)

• k8 (7b, NJ)
    8 years ago

bernard, as i said, the succulents and cacti offered at my local nurseries are the same offered at my local home depot, as well as the home depot on 23rd street AND the new york botanical garden store in the bronx, so i'm pretty sure anything i have around here you could probably find a lot easier without two hours of travel ;)

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Erica/Iceball - the Flower District is at 28th st between 6th and 7th, it covers the whole avenue, you won't miss it. They display flowers and crazy plants outside their stores. Word of advise is to arrive early, most shops close during mid-day, because they mainly open super early to distribute their cut flowers. There are only a couple of stores that have trays of succulents, I wished there were more. I got my plants from this particular one named Noble Planta - it run by an old couple, rather cranky at times, but boy they sure do have varieties!

It might seem intimidating if you go there for the first time, but you have to be bullish and not afraid to ask. Most of the time, people are friendly and they'll show you their hidden trays of succulents in this concrete forest.

Erica, don't mean to tray you further into the addiction, but here some snaps I caught on my visit yesterday.

Happy hunting!

• Related Discussions

Echeveria sp.??? ID

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks for leading me in the right direction mfyss! I think I found it's official name: Echeveria agavoides 'Red Edge' PG, I bought this off eBay for $2.50. Not some big price. None of the local stores had any succulents in yet and I had an itch for some new plants. The brown tips are actually red. There are, however, some injuries to the plant which caused some brown spots. Now that it's in my care it'll eventually give me offsets etc. that are not flawed. I am new to the succulent world. I (silly) literally thought that all there were for cacti and succulents were plain ones that grow in the wild like in CO, NE, SD and WY. I bought my FIRST cool succulent, E. nodulosa at the floral dept. in a local grocery store. It didn't have the taxonomy provided so I googled "succulents" and up popped a plethera of too cool cacti and succulents. I am pretty sure they're called SUCculents because the SUCk you right in and get you addicted! I have always bled chlorophyll. I rec'd my first house plant in 7th grade. Got hooked on Angel Wing Begonias in 8th, Orchids in college and now succulents...wow, what a beautiful world! Here is a link that might be useful: Echeveria agavoides 'Red Edge'
    ...See More

Help ID (echeveria?) succulent problem, please

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Charli, don't have a name for you but I can tell this plant is not getting enough light. See the big gaps between the leaves? If it were getting proper lighting it would be tighter leaves and more compact. The stem looks to me like it is underwatered. Too much water usually will rot it and make it soft. Multiple plants together is fine. My advice is to add more sunshine. Tracy
    ...See More

Echeveria ID and help.

Q

Comments (8)
    Nicole, what I experienced with repotting echeverias is that when their roots get disturbed, the plant tends to wilt their flowers and focus on their remaining reserves in healing its roots. So if you want your plant to bloom, I suggest leaving them be for a while until the flower dies. If you truly want to repot it, snip the inflorescence and go ahead and repot your plant. You can try to root the inflorescence stalk, there is a chance of yielding a new plant like mine..
    ...See More

Help to ID this lovely echeveria

Q

Comments (14)
    I totally agree Katherine. I bought it because of them. So lovely and delicate :) But if it isn't an Echeveria but a Graptopetalum bellus, then maybe I should move it away from the windowsill, which is facing south. Hmm contradicting info on that. On the other hand it's doing rather well.
    ...See More
  • bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    K8 - I've paid a couple of visits Lowes, and to the Home Depot you mentioned on 23rd as well as some in Brooklyn. The supply is really miserable. There were probably only 1 tray of c&s and they don't seem to plan to restock it anytime soon (upon checking with the staffs)

Which is why I'm thinking to driving out. I didn't know the botanical garden at the Bronx has a nursery that sells plants - c&s.
    I might go check it out.
  • bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Azt - Your little cacti are so CUTE!! I never really grown cacti before, so I'm kind of intimidated by all the spikes and exterior.

• cooliceball
    8 years ago

Thanks bernad i will surely check it out

• cooliceball
    8 years ago

What time you think i should go

• ehuns27 7a PA
    8 years ago

Thanks Bernard. I will try to check it out next time I'm there. Will probably go before I start drinking so I can still make reasonable choices..

-Erica

• k8 (7b, NJ)
    8 years ago

Wait, Erica, people actually shop for cacti sober? Well I never...

• ehuns27 7a PA
    8 years ago

Neil, you mentioned a place near King of Prussia in Pennsylvania. Would you be referring to Ott's? It's an exotic plant nursery that occasionally sells a lot of succulents depending on their mood. If this is where you are referring to I would highly recommend never going there. All of their plants are infested with one thing or other and their prices are higher than buying something online (including shipping costs). This is the only well-known place I can think of near King of Prussia, I actually live 10 minutes from there.

Lancaster is a wonderful place to go plant hunting. I like to go to Ken's Gardens. I think there are two of them in Lancaster, I go to the one near Kitchen Kettle a couple times a year.

-Erica

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Neil!! This is gonna be my Summer To-Do List of places to visit!

1) Home Depot is really sad here, we have a couple in Brooklyn too. The one closest to my apartment is huge, and the garden sprawls across the entire carpark, only to have a stand of 1 tray of very sad selection of C&S.

2) If you suggest the Botanical Garden at the Bronx is mildly comparable to the selections at Home Depot, I'll probably give it a miss

3) Union Square Farmer's Market!! This was where I started this succulent addiction, an innocent morning stroll at the local farmer's market leading to a full-blown addiction.

I believe the guy you mentioned runs the truck called "Petals Plants Nursey", they are located in NJ Allentown. Not sure about the details of their location.. They always a carry a variety of Succulents, but sometimes it's a hit or miss depending on what they bring in for the day.

4) Neil, did you used to live in the East? How do you have such great resources in knowing every nook and cranny in finding places that sells decent succulents?

I'll make a mental note to go search for a florist at upper east side 77st between 2nd and 3rd.

5) In Bay Ridge, I heard there is a famous one called "Indoor Outdoor Gardener", read really good reviews about their store.

6) We have a couple of nurseries near Alantic and Gowanus - I've been to all of them. In early Spring they had quite a selection, but as months goes by, the rarer plants gets very picked over.

I believe Brooklyn Bontica Center is the place you got your plants in downtown brooklyn, they have a nice backyard garden, not sure about furniture though. There are a couple of cute spots including

My other favorite is Sprout Home in Williamsburg, when you get a chance you should drop by to visit. Their plants is on the pricer side, but they do carry some varities of rare plants if you are there at the right season and time. They also get sold out really quickly because its such a popular spot for the locals.

Lastly, Gownaus Nursery and Chelsea Garden Center by Van Brunt Street in Brooklyn are also my go-to places, but they only carry limited selections of succulents.

7) I'll take note of the garden in Ringwood NJ and Barton at Cranbury NJ, might plan a drive to NJ this Sunday.

8) Neil, I'm so jealous that you guys have the rarer Echeverias more commonly that I love so much! Do you think it would be possible to grant my wish list in getting some Echeveria Cuspidata Menchaca and Agavodies Ebony / Frank Reinelt on my behalf? I'll pay you all the cost for the plant and shipping - and my eternal gratitude.

Bernard

• Neil
    8 years ago

Erica- Yes, IT IS OTTS!! I didn't have a bad experience thank God. But i'll take your suggestion on infestation. Makes me cringe, so they're off my list.

• Neil
    8 years ago

Erica- Don't be offended by this but, i'm about to give Bernard some advice.
    Bernard- Don't go to Allentown. Not without a firearm anyway! lol.

• Neil
    8 years ago

Bernard- email me your wishlist or call me if you can. I know most of the nursery staff in my area by name. We could also do this....Call ahead, make a request and if they don't do mail order, I can pick it up and mail it to you. Ask them to order or hold the plant and I'll go get it.

Here are some names: you'll have to google the phone though (don't be lazy).

Mission Hills Nursery

Walter Andersen Nursery

Exotic Gardens on El Cajon Blvd.

Also google 3 places that are in Solana Beach. love going there. huge variety.

I bought my Portulaca Molokiniensis from them when all others were sold out.

• ehuns27 7a PA
    8 years ago

Hahah, Allentown isn't that bad! I think Easton is getting worse.

Ott's gets such good reviews but I think it's because of their mums and their indoor displays. I've never really heard good things about the quality of their plants. They sell 2in. succulents there for upwards of $7 sometimes. It baffles me. A much better place is Fredericks in Souderton. They don't always have a huge selection but they get some rare ones in.

-Erica

• Neil
    8 years ago

Erica- I've had many amazing times in Pennsylvania most especially the Philadelphia area and vicinity. Pittsburgh, now that's a trip! Went twice and I gotta say, it's on my top ten list of weird places i've ever visited lol. I have to admit though I went to Philly mostly for the food! There is an old restaurant...tavern-like place...all wood and real cozy inside maybe you know of it? (it's famous) (I forget the name), but, the food and atmosphere are incredible. It's pricey though, about $75-100 per person.

I really miss all the fresh produce especially the yellow and purple broccoli and cauliflower. several things that I miss the most are: Pizza, Big pretzels, Street dogs, or Papaya King/Greys, Italian Pastries, Bagels, Dunkin' Donuts Coffee and their Jelly donuts, Marzipan, German places such as Schaller & Weber on 86th Street Manhattan.

And of course in Philly, I know Geno's & Pat's get the raves but, there are other places that give them a run for their money now. Pats though has that condiment stand outside with the pickled cherry peppers.

I'm getting so hungry now! I'd kill for a Pastrami on Rye with Mustard and a half sour pickle. Can't get that here : (

Also 2 other things: The chinese food back home is the best. how can you beat 10 chicken wings, fried rice, an egg roll and a free soda in a combo plate for $5.95? Most places don't even know what duck sauce is over here!

2ndly, most latin places here are strictly of a Mexican theme. Which, is fine if you like Mexican-type food. Unfortunately, i'm not very big on it. I miss the Puerto Rican/Dominican/Cuban/Colombian influences that are more prevalent on the east coast. It's just not the same here.

And, I am by no means saying that there aren't some great places to eat here, because there are. It's just different. Here's what I mean: You can take the best pizza maker from NYC or Philly and bring them here...make the pizza eactly the same way yet it would not be the same. Why? It's not them, it's the water. Dough reacts differently out west either because of the climate or the water or a combination of both, I don't know. My mom's cooking always tasted a bit different out here than NY.

But, i've been calling both NYC and San Diego home since I was a kid which is why i'm always back and forth. I do know one thing, you can't beat San Diego for Succulents!

goin to eat now for real!

• Neil
    8 years ago

Did everyone see the link from one of Bernard's posts, the one with the Haworthia? It's only $380.00. I guess he's getting a dozen? lol

• cooliceball
    8 years ago

Lol i saw that its its $415 because of shipping. sorry i love succulent but i wouldn't waste that much on one succulent

• ehuns27 7a PA
    8 years ago

Neil, I've never actually been to Pitt but I'm headed out that way to go camping soon.

I go to Jim's for cheesesteaks. I think Pat's and Geno's are a little tourist:-y.

There is a flower shop in Chelsea Market that sells succulents. I got a Mesemb there once that I later killed. If you don't find anything good you can at least get some delicious tacos...

-Erica

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Neil/Keve - $415 for a rare powdered form of Haworthia isn't crazy yet. I've seen rainbow variegated ones going for 3 grand! I won't deny its beauty but so far my biggest splurge is still under a hundred for my rarest plant - E, Lauii

Erica/Neil - I would love to drive out to Pilly/Jersey one weekend. My partner and I were thinking of six flags this Sunday. Any ideas of nurseries nearby we can peek before we arrive at the park? lol

Bernard

• ehuns27 7a PA
    8 years ago

Bernard, you might want to check this shop on Etsy: CTS Airplants. I have mentioned this one before but was just browsing his shop because he has a lot of new additions and noticed quite a few Echeverias. I think his prices are pretty reasonable and they are always really great quality. It ships from California but I usually request it to be shipped Monday or Tuesday and I have it by the end of the week.

I'm not a fan of Six Flags! I don't really know the area, sorry!

-Erica

• Neil
    8 years ago

Bernard- "great adventure" six flags in Jackson NJ, there's not much else there that I know of. It's always been very crowded when I've gone What about the Hershey Chocolate Factory In Hersey, Pennsylvania? It's like a big Chocolate Nursery, plus they give you free samples!

How much was your e. lauii? I saw them by me for $2 for the smallest ones, $5 for the medium and $10 for the larger ones.

these are the echeverias that I can remember seeing this year:

Aphrodite, Byzantine, Pollux, Hercules, Ramillete, Peacockii, Multicaulis, Black Prince, Princess Blue, Neon Breakers, Gibbiflora(?), Violet Queen, Agavoides, Agavoides Red Edge, Derenbergii, Puliodonis, Imbricata, Perle von Nurnberg, a hybrid deren-oliver, mauna loa, Afterglow, Lola, Lilacina, elegans, firecracker, runyonii, blue curls, Setosa, Doris Taylor, Glauca, Minima, Nodulosa, subsessilis,

I don't think any of these were more than $12. for the largest ones.

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Erica, I've been stalking their web store a couple of times at etsy. But I can never let myself part with a $10 plant with $7 shipping for a rather common plant that I might be able to find in my local nursery, unless it is a plant I really want. Aww, I been there last year, but my friends really want to make another trip there.

Neil, you must be really lucky! E Lauii for $2!! I would have bought the whole nursery if I see them at $2 each. Now don't laugh at me but I got Mrs Lauii at $70 and Mr Lauii was won in an auction bidding for $30 - all including shipping.

I'm actively looking for Agavodies ebony / frank reneilt - and cuspidata

• Neil
    8 years ago

Bernard- I didn't know they were that rare! I would have bought all of them lol.

• k8 (7b, NJ)
    8 years ago

I love Six Flags but if you're going on a weekend get ready for loooong lines . . . and skip Green Lantern, lol. Idk about nurseries there but have fun!

• Neil
    8 years ago

I used to go on "The Runaway Train." lol.

• Neil
    8 years ago

Erica- I checked out your link too. They seem pretty reasonably priced..but, their shipping...!

• ehuns27 7a PA
    8 years ago

I always buy more than one for combined shipping!

-Erica

• cooliceball
    8 years ago

Lol i thought i am the only here at this time

• Neil
    8 years ago

Erica- Yeah, that's a smarter way to go. Hey Coolice! You guys are up late! I got up because I was waiting for one of my cactus to flower, AND IT DID! I waited so long for the flower to happen. I'm gonna post the pics on Rina's June 2015 Blooms thread now. G'nite!

• cooliceball
    8 years ago

Hey neil just saw it /i wake up at 5am or 6am and i sleep at 11 or 12 pm

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Neil, are u sure they are Lauii? And not hybrids of lauii? Could you snap a pic when u stop by the nursey when u get a chance?

The plant rarely offsets, and their seeds are a pain to sow, hearing that it has only a 4% germination rate from a fellow forum member who tried. And congrats on your bloom! i saw it on Rina post, it's stunning!

Erica/keve - actually I do, that's the danger, it makes me buy the same plant in 3 different variation, like my last purchase, I bought 3 types of sedum rubrotinctum - auroa, mini and regular. And now I sit here staring at them thinking to myself do I even need so many jelly bean plants?

K8 - crowd was a given thing already, we stupidly went to the batman ride first, and did the newer attractions in the later afternoon - needless to say the lines were hours long. Green lantern was fun though!! Standing upright in a ride!

Bernard

• Neil
    8 years ago

Bernard- I will check for you on the Lauii and if not at the nursery I will keep a look out for it this Sat. when I go to the Cactus & Succulent show. Thanks for the compliment on the bloom, it felt like forever. The tiny little plant with the flowers is freakin adorable!! Great quality on the photos too. if you remember, please post a photo of your rubrotinctum aurora, i'd like to see it. - later

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Neil! If you could be so kind to spot any E. Cuspidata especially if it's a Menchaca var or Parrasana/Parrasensis or Agavodies Frank Renielt, that will be amazing!!

I don't have any experience with cacti but I'm pretty sure blooms comes by much rarer than succulents. So congrats again!

Thanks Neil, when I saw flowering buds forming, I was shocked! It barely even have leaves yet.

Here they are my 3 Rubrotinctum.. The first guy is aurora - pink jelly beans, followed by pork and beans - the regular jelly bean plant and lastly the miniature version - mini me.

They all still lack the saturated sunset color as I'm still acclimatizing them. They are only a few weeks old under my care, and might need a few more before they go basking under full sun.
  • Bryce
    8 years ago

Sorry if this derails this thread a little bit but I just received some plants from CTS Airplants today.

I got an Echeveria 'Lola'

a Haworthia Retusa Accuminata

and a Pachyveria Powder Puff (I guess I got one of the last ones because it's no longer listed)

Overall I'm pretty pleased pleased. Shipping was $6.50 for al of it and it came quickly and was packaged well. They shipped with no pots but ALL of the soil was still intact. Which was easy to get off the Echeveria and the Haworthia. I'm really really happy about those two, the roots looked great and they looked almost exactly like the pictures on the site. The Pachyveria is a whole other story. It's super sunburned and I'm 95% sure that it was in pure peat. But 2/3 is pretty good for online shopping.

• ehuns27 7a PA
    8 years ago

I'm sure the Pachyveria will adjust and look great, especially in that fine looking potting mix. I have no reason to support this shop so much other than the fact that I am always so impressed with it for various reasons. Sometimes he randomly sends them to me in the pots, sometimes out. I like when they come in the pots because I feel like the roots are better protected. I think I'll be placing another order with him soon!

Enjoy your new plants :)

-Erica

• Neil
    8 years ago

Really- I may have to give them a try too then. The cactus show is this Saturday so i'll see how much money I have left (nothing). Thanks for recommending the place Erica!

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So jealous, everyone is gearing up for the C&S show in the west coast this weekend, and I can't be there! :(

• Neil
    8 years ago

Bernard- I can be your Liaison!

• Neil
    8 years ago

I wonder who else from the forum is going? Maybe we could carpool, lol. *I can actually walk there!

• aztcqn
    8 years ago

Bernard, I've seen the Agavodies types with red dark edges. They didn't have tags, though.
    btelbtel, that's a really nice retusa, very healthy plant from CTS.

Neil, where is the Saturday show?

• Neil
    8 years ago

AZT- The San Diego Cactus & Succulent Society's show is being held this Saturday & Sunday starting at 8:00am in Balboa Park. (San Diego, Ca) hopefully you can attend?

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Neil are you going to show your plants? Or you're just buying? I'm going to email you..

• Neil
    8 years ago

Bernard- Sorry, I just now saw your posting. Show my plants??? To a bunch of succulent fanatics??? I'd be robbed! lol, no just going to buy and mostly browse. pretty much like you..i'm sort of forbidden to buy more plants. Oh by the way I did go to one of the nurseries today and I scouted for new echeverias. nothing from what you told me. But, they did have a melaco with an absolutely gorgeous chocolate color. I mean real chocolate! And, an e. orion and some beautiful specimens of the Chihuahuaensis. both were $10 each or 12.99, I can't remember. i'll look out for your email.

• aztcqn
    8 years ago

Aaaah darn. Don't think I can go. Prior commitment on Saturday. Only real hunt ATM is for an Eche laui round petaled and maybe an E. Cante. I just received a small order from ebay of more rebutias and I need to stop.

:0
    Now I need to build a staging and show-off area for my plants.

• Nezarn Lunarn
    8 years ago

So cute

• Neil
    8 years ago

AZ- i'm goin and scouting for some echies for Bernard. He wants a Lauii too.

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Neil - I really appreciate the hunting spirit, but I think I should stop at 2 Lauii(s). I stopped by my local Lowe's yesterday, and amidst all my whining, they restocked! I took out my phone and went into frenzy mood snapping everything. They had quite a few varieties that caught my eye - Chihuahuaensis, Agavodies x Pulidonis, Neon Breaker, Sunburst. In the end, I caved and got myself a Pachyeveria Exotica 'Powder Puff' for $3. Their bigger size plants were going for $5. (crazy prices, had to talk myself out multiple times before I put them down) Will post a report with pics on another thread.

Azt - Looking forward to all your crazy cacti blooms! There were a couple of Mammillaria Gracillis Fragilis bulbs that "happen to fall into my Pachyveria's Pot", so I'm attempting to root them and hopefully grow them.

• Neil
    8 years ago

Bernard- Good for you. Now, those are decent prices!. I saw the Chihuahuaensis and wanted at least 3 but, i'm saving my $$ for tomorrow!! I think you'll like the Mammillaria Gracilis Fragilis variety, they root/spread/grow rather quickly and it's one of the few cacti species that I can handle without gloves!

• aztcqn
    8 years ago

Ahh, your Pachyveria is a nice pretty variety. Yes post pics! Your will-power is impressive. I just "won" myself 2 more bromeliads on ebay. I need to follow your example.
    Neil, happy hunting! I know you'll be seeing some spectacular stuff for show and sale.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH