SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zkatze

Blueberry & Black Walnut - and an extra question about over wintering

RM Z (zone 6a - Ontario)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I think I've finally put 2 and 2 together and realized why my blueberries plants have never survived long term. The latest victim was a pink lemonade blueberry planted last fall that looked nice and healthy at the time, but never came back this spring. Not one prone to giving up, I bought three different varieties this spring that are currently thriving in pots.

In the process of trying to figure out what to do with these plants come fall, I realized that I can't put them in the ground in my yard due to the presence of 3 mature black walnut tree. This is likely why every blueberry I have put in the ground has died. At the same time, I can't just leave them in the pots all winter. It's too cold here (last two winters have gotten down to the -30s) for that and the roots will freeze. The current pots are too small for long terms anyway, but should be okay for this season.

So I am thinking my only option to keep these is a raised bed (or put them in the front yard about 100ft away from the black walnut trees). If I put them in a raised bed, the only unused portion of my backyard with enough sunlight still falls under the outer tips of the black walnut branches. It doesn't obstruct the sunlight, but they'd still be at risk from toxicity from dripping water, right? Also, how can I ensure that the roots of the tree stay out of the raised bed? This bed would be located only about 20ft from the trunk. I thinking that I'd almost have to sink some kind of container inside the bed that contains the blueberries and then fill up the rest of the bed with suitable growing medium? Would that be enough?

Alternatively, I have, I have a number of raised bed in my yard outside the drip line of the trees. They range in size from 4ft square to about 4 x 6ft and they all have about 8" of soil above gound level. One bed is deeper than the others with about 12" of soil. If I buried the blueberries partially in these raised beds and mulched the parts remaining above ground, do you think that would help prevent the roots from freezeing (especially, if I moved them to larger pots before prepping them for winter).

Lastly, if I want to reuse the pots long term, what kind of pot will best tolerate being partially buried through the winter and left above ground the rest of the year.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert