SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

Fixed vs. Cost-Plus Contracts

8 years ago

I'm lurching into another abyss of ignorance and trying to learn my way out. We've been working with an architect (and spending lots of time reading the Kitchens forum) to design a kitchen and bath remodel, small addition of square footage, and renovations to LR, DR, and systems. Now comes the bidding phase. We've had three contractors come out, one of whom will give a fixed price bid (he returned with a host of subs to get proposals from them), and two who work on a cost-plus basis.

I'm not sure that I understand how a cost-plus proposal is a "bid" rather than an "estimate," and what incentive there is to be accurate. Am I missing something? With a fixed price, if the contractor made a mistake in his or her estimate, it isn't my problem, but is there anything to preclude the cost-plus contractor from just saying "oops, my bad. Here's the bill."? For instance, I've been reading other threads here, and in one a contractor estimated for demo of drywall when the house was actually built with lathe and plaster, which was more time-consuming to remove and more costly to dump. In a fixed-price contract, it seems like that'd be the contractor's problem (assuming they had the opportunity to check the walls and/or it was obvious or brought to their attention), but what happens with a cost-plus? If that happened a few times, costs could quickly balloon.

I liked both of the cost-plus guys and am interested in their proposals, but the notion that the numbers could quickly go up makes me nervous. I can (and will) talk with their references, but I doubt that any contractor would put bad stuff on their contact list.

Comments (28)