SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greasetrap_gw

Window height above countertop

greasetrap
8 years ago

Our kitchen renovation plans call for a countertop to be placed around a bay window that currently serves as an eating area. The current windows measure about 48-49" high, and will have to be replaced with lower height windows due to the countertop height.

The current picture window will be replaced with 3 double hung windows with the trim/sill going around all 3 windows. Our KD/GC says this will preserve a traditional look, but give us more ventilation. Right now, the plans call for about a 6" backsplash over the counter. When you add in the windowsill, that leaves room for a 36" high window, or a 12-13" reduction from the current window height.

I was mulling the possibility of eliminating the backsplash entirely and just putting a granite windowsill underneath. This would allow for possibly a 42" window. Would something like this make sense? There will be a sink under the window, but it will be 9" deep, so hopefully there won't be a lot of splashing. My other concern is that the house has a very traditional look, and I was wondering if this would look a bit too contemporary.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (15)