SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sephia_wa

Shocking experience at the veterinarian

sephia_wa
8 years ago

I posted this at the Kitchen Table but thought I'd post it on the pet Forum too, in case some of you don't visit the Kitchen Table forum.

I witnessed something very disturbing this afternoon.

I took my 16 year old cat, Timmy, to the veterinarian for an exam prior to his dental work next week. While I standing at the counter paying the bill, a very distraught woman burst thru the entrance door holding her cat, crying "oh my God! oh my God! He's choking! I think he's dead!" She was really quite distraught, and understandingly so. The disturbing part was the reaction of veterinarian staff. There were two women behind the counter and a vet tech. When this distraught woman burst into the office, they did nothing. They just stared at her. I'm thinking "aren't you going to help her? Aren't you going to do something?" I stepped away from the counter and said I could wait, for them to attend to the upset woman. One of them got up and casually walked over to a private office, knocked, and my vet walked out. It was quite a contrast between this distraught woman and the vet and staff. This woman was wailing and crying, but there was no sense of urgency from my vet or staff. She said several times that she had lost her other cat on April 11. My vet asked her to give her cat to him, and to follow him to an exam room. She continued to cry that she knew he was dead. The cat did pass away. He put the cat in a white box and gave the box to the woman, and she left. I didn't think she was in any condition to drive. I finished paying my bill, and commented that I couldn't work in a vet's office, that it would constantly break my heart.

My vet's comment? And this is the disturbing part - he said her reaction was "over the top." WTH? I was quite shocked that he would say that. I really didn't like that comment or his attitude about it. I trust him to take good care of my cat - he's a good vet in that regard - he's very experienced and has additional education for felines. But I didn't like his casual attitude and dismissal of her pain at losing her cat. I've been tossing around in my head whether I want to continue taking my cats to him. His callous comment was very shocking to me.

Comments (8)