SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

A 2 ft. deep by 10 ft. long closet area in the dining room?

laughablemoments
8 years ago

We have the opportunity to build a closet in our dining room. (*details below) How do we make it look like it belongs? We eat all of our meals in here, and it's a wonderful room, so I want it to feel like it fits in our 1897 home. (i.e. I don't want to ruin the space by bungling it up with a closet that looks or feels "wrong".) I checked the measurements of our table size for the size of the room, and the numbers check out ok so that it shouldn't feel too cramped.

Our ceilings are 9' high, and the room is 14'10 x 17'1 with a big bay window to the south.

I drew up the layout. The "fried egg" is the table with the chandelier over it. :>) The table is 51" wide by 8' long. Chandelier is 30.5" wide.

*For those who want more details: Turns out there was a mistake made when this house was built, and the floor upstairs is sagging since the span is so wide over the dining room. By putting in a closet, we can better support the upstairs and stop the sag.

And yes, we could use the storage. : )

Comments (34)

• graywings123
    8 years ago

I have a built-in china closet in the dining room of my house built circa 1900. It has glass doors. I don't know whether it is original to the house or not.

laughablemoments thanked graywings123
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

A built-in buffet would be very in keeping with an older home. Presumably you only structurally need a post and maybe a cross beam...you could work around the rest with sheet rock, trim molding and add cabinetry, perhaps with glass fronted doors and even a stone or marble work surface, maybe a mirrored back splash. I think it could be lovely.

laughablemoments thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Related Discussions

cost of 5 ft. x 2 ft three-quarter inch granite slab

Q

Comments (9)
    I checked on yet another granite place today on my luch hour. I told her I was on a budget, looking only at remnants. She told me all their remnants were $50 sq. ft. So far so good. I need less than 6 feet. Then the charges started addig up and no matter which remnant I picked, it came to $910 with tax. $250 for templating and install. $150 for attaching the sink. And some other charge for fabricating the back and side splashes. I must admit, I was happy that I could get blue pearl for the same price as a lesser grade granite, but they came out to the highest one yet. Beth S. NJ
    ...See More

Front door less than 8ft tall ok if flanking closets are 8ft?

Q

Comments (26)
    I would say that the transom could be the same material with the same pattern, it could be the same shape with a single lite (which would be transitional really but that's ok) or it could be rectangular with upright rectangular divided lites. The mirror idea, to me anyway, is only effective if you are doing it where you actually Couldn't or Wouldn't Want to have real windows. I think the important thing to maintain with the number of openings that are adjacent here (5?), and the number of doors to be used here (5-6?) is some sort of consistency or logic behind the choices. I think if you don't have a leaded surround right at the front, you probably should not do it on the inner doors because it adds another material. Likewise the solid doors should have some kind of pattern relationship with the other solid doors, and the doors with glazing should have some kind of pattern relationship with the other glazed doors...and ideally they should have a relationship with each other as well.
    ...See More

Size of dining room to accommodate 13ft extension table (seats 16)

Q

Comments (6)
    I love that you're planning for big dinners! Fun! I'm renting a tent and tables and chairs for a graduation party and in trying to figure out how many tables I could fit in the tent, I Googled 'spacing for tables and chairs.' You'll get several hits. From this link you'll see: For a special occasion such as a holiday meal with many guests, the meal may be served buffet style, calling for a slightly different furniture arrangement in the dining area Allow 60 inches between the buffet or food serving area and the edge of the dining table; this allows room to walk between the table and serving area, even when guests' chairs are pushed away from the table. You'll also need to consider the size of your chairs. For example, arm chairs may take up more space than the same-styled chairs without arms. And will the placement of the buffet be in a corner or 'dead end', meaning two people may need to pass each other behind a seated diner to access the buffet? Or can the buffet line be one way, allowing 'in' at one end and 'out' at the other? I'd try it out... set up your buffet (or a large box to imitate it) 60" away from the back of a chair with someone in it seated at your table. Is it comfortable to pass by? Do you feel like you'll spill soup on someone's head as you inch by, or that your bum is brushing the back of their head? Or can two of you pass each other comfortably behind the person seated in the chair? Once you feel comfortable, then use some graph paper and draw, to scale, your table, chairs, buffet etc. with the comfortable walkway.
    ...See More

Kitchen Design and Layout Help - Enclosed 11.5ft x 10ft

Q

Comments (3)
    You very well may be right that we don't have many other good options. In that case, we'd need to improve our space utilization, and it would be nice to take steps to make our 'auxiliary' stations more cohesive. What an updated layout could look like - a 30in wide fridge could be advantageous here. The pantry here would actually have a 15% or so increase in usable square footage. Some older ideas we played around with in the IKEA utility An alternative, with only the fridge on that back wall. Some other alternatives - a shallow wall pantry on that back wall? Or using that 'nook' space as a suspended countertop (pantry 'top' on the back wall)? Idea from this thread - https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6226131/how-to-use-this-space-in-kitchen#n=38
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    8 years ago

I would make it seamless with the rest of the room and have it not recognizable as a closet- invisible. if that means lots of trim, wonderful, but make it work with the house so it looks like a wall.

laughablemoments thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

What's on the other side of that wall? Is it entryway? Could you access the closet from that side?

laughablemoments thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • jlc712
    8 years ago

A built in buffet would be very pretty, and appropriate. If that's not the type of storage you want, or the structural work prevents that, I would look for a couple of pretty antique doors that match the age/style of your house, and then design the front of the closet to fit them. I'd make sure you can match the existing baseboard and other moldings to wrap around the closet and make it look seamless with the rest of the room.

laughablemoments thanked jlc712
  • palimpsest
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'd probably do this and make it look like a paneled wall and built ins:

And if you are supporting something above, it will likely need to be supported from below, you don't want to transmit the sag into the dining room floor. I am not sure how a span that is too wide over the dining room isn't too wide for the dining room itself. Is the floor structure different?

laughablemoments thanked palimpsest
  • sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

We built a china cabinet into ours of similar size, but it was inset into a niche. In your case, I like the paneled front idea that palimpsest suggested, and her idea about flanking the doorway on both sides is brilliant.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

I was thinking pretty much the same thing as pal, but do keep in mind that 2 ft deth is wonderful for some things (allows platters and serving pieces to be stored and linens to be folded less (or you could create a hanging space - even better), but 2 ft deep cabinets can be a pain for reacing into and letting things get lost in the back. Think about how to build out the space, even if it means adding the post and living with it there while you plan. Decide whether a step in closet, drawers, hanging inens, deep shelves or perhaps a hutch or other option will best use the space.

We built a hutch into a recess that was about 27 inches deep. We used regular 24 inch base cabinets and set a deep counter over them, then used uppers down to the counter on the sides and an open shelf across the middle -- just to give you a better idea what I am talking about. With a larger span, you could have a significant sideboard or buffet space. You might even addd a wine fridge, fridge drawers or a warming drawer if they would be useful to you. If the budget isn't there for something unplnned like that, plan the space for the size adn power needs (power will be great or a warming tray, lamps and other tings you might want on a buffet too. If you are going to do it, do it well.

laughablemoments thanked lascatx
  • laughablemoments
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. It would be great to be able to access this space from the entry, but the wall is full of duct work and plumbing, so cutting through the wall is a no-go.

The sag will be fixed by putting the weight back over the area in the basement where it belongs. We're fixing something was done incorrectly a long, long time ago.

I like the idea of making this look like a hutch, at least in theory. It's good to know that china closets were common in the past. The main issue with doing a hutch or glass doors is that the things that we need to store aren't very view-worthy: the vacuum and cleaning supplies, wrapping paper, seasonal storage, toys and games, yada, yada. Stuff that goes with family life, rather than beautiful dishes that look lovely, but need regular dusting. ; )

I'll have to talk to DH about doing the thick wall like Pal suggests. I considered that too, actually. I have a secretary desk that's to the left of the window on the 14' 10" wall, so it would need to move if we did that. (I don't know where....)

Those pictures are gorgeous, Roarah, I bookmarked them.

Finding used doors is a good idea, Jlc, why didn't I think of that, LOL.

Hmmm, Lacatx, doing a huge buffet there is an interesting idea, too.

I want to do this well, but I have to admit, I'm awfully tempted to get a pair of sliding doors, enclose it and move on with the million other projects here! Has anyone got a big ole closet in their dining room?

• Oakley
    8 years ago

We did that in our LR and it looks nice. The closet is about 7' x almost 4'. We needed the space just like you do. It's full of shelves except to the far side where all but the top two shelves are gone, that way I can store my Christmas tree and ornaments.

The key to it looking good and blending in is the door. We have double doors on ours.

Does it look like a closet is there? Sure, but it looks great. If I say so myself. :)

laughablemoments thanked Oakley
  • laughablemoments
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's helpful, Oakley. Do you have pictures of your closet? I'd love to see!

Here are some pictures of the wall in question, as well as the room itself.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

have never had a closet in a dining room, but it would be great if it could be built something like the pics roarah posted!!

are you able to move the opening into the entryway down as close as you can to the corner and maybe narrow the opening to 3 1/2' so you have another ~ 1- 1 1/2' or so to work with?? that would eliminate most of that ~18"(?) piece of wall to the right of the opening and also give a little more privacy in the dining room from the entryway...

but, then you could configure that space however works best for you (tho I think some lighted glass doored cabinets would look really nice in a dining room-- even if they're only narrow ones at the very top near the ceiling...) with cabinet doors and drawers so it doesn't look like a coat/utility closet in your dining room...

laughablemoments thanked busybee3
  • palimpsest
    8 years ago

laughablemoments thanked palimpsest
  • Oakley
    8 years ago

Here you go. The closet is wider than the doors, and we have a light inside. The door to the left is the ac/heat unit for this room. I think doors here and there adds character to a house. You can get all sorts of different hardware. Glass knobs might be neat for a dining room!

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

I wonder if you might be able to build something that looks like the closets in Roarah's pics (which I love) but actually functions in way you want it to. For instance, use doors that are glass on the top half, but cover the glass for now with window film or fabric on the inside, so no one can see your vacuum and such, but later, you (or the next owner) could use the storage for dish ware or other pretty things. Also put in the supports for shelving inside even if you don't use the shelving for now. I don't know if that makes sense...I haven't finished my coffee yet...but I can see it in my head!

My first thought was like Pal's -- built out the opposite side of the door too.

laughablemoments thanked Sueb20
  • localeater
    8 years ago

My childhood home had long walls of closets just like what Pal mocked up. My mom needed the storage space and the dining room was large.

The doors were integrated into the wall, you could not see them. They were push to open latches.

laughablemoments thanked localeater
  • laughablemoments
    Original Author
    8 years ago

New Country House, Chester County, PA · More Info

Well, that's not where I was going to stick this picture, but it's where it landed. Anyhoo, here's a picture I just found of a paneled dining room with similarly paneled closet doors. Wheee...

We can't move the opening to the entryway, busybee, since the heat and plumbing chases are in the way. I do like the idea of doing glass near the tops of the closet doors, though! : )

Wow, Palimpsest, thank you so much for drawing up an example of the paneled wall on each side of the door. (I must also say, besides the paneled closets, that it's so good to see a white ceiling in the dining room again! While I like "rustic", the particle board on the beams isn't quite doing it for me, LOL.) I'll have to show the drawing to DH and see what he thinks.

I'll admit I'm still struggling with loosing the airiness of the room by putting up those closets that make the room 2 feet narrower. But airiness + clutter (or, should I say "homeless items") really doesn't equal airy, does it.

Thank you for posting a picture of your built-out closets, Oakley. That is very helpful to see them in your space. Now, I don't feel crowded when I look at your cozy room, so that's encouraging. : ) And glass knobs...those are some of my favorites.

Sueb, I wonder if glass doors would help the closet feel... less invasive in the space. I think I'd need to do curtains inside, but maybe they'd feel less solid and imposing that way??

Really Localeater, your mom had a great wall of storage in the dining room? Hooray! That's good news. How cool to have integrated doors that blended into the wall. I looked up the push to open latches. Goodness, they were less expensive than some hardware I've looked at. How often does that happen??

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. My brain is feeling weary from lots of decision making on this house, so it's good to get some fresh eyes and ideas on this one.

• Debbie Downer
    8 years ago

I would prefer it being some sort of wood cabinetry vs making walls with a door in it - wouldn't have to be glass doors or even a traditional dining room hutch specifically. It could even be a tall pantry type cabinet.

The problem with making a typical closet with walls/doors is that then your room has all these DOORS which lead every which way - at least three. Rooms with a lot of doors always look a little unsettled to me - gives it kind of a Grand Central Station feeling. Also I think something well designed with shelving is going to have more functionality and useable storage space than a big ole closet.

laughablemoments thanked Debbie Downer
  • Oakley
    8 years ago

Kasha, she needs space for a vacuum cleaner and other household items that can't really be on display. In an 1897 home, I think an extra door would fit in.

The old house I grew up in had 3 doorways in the DR. I still dream of that house.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good points, both of you Kasha and Oakley. We have friends that keep their vac in an old pantry/armoire style cabinet, so I have seen that done. A free standing unit would be nice(!), but it won't support the upstairs, which is where a built in unit of some sort would come into play.

Is there a way to take the formality of the paneled room (above) down about 5 notches? These rooms appeal to me quite a bit more:

Michigan Summer Home · More Info

Nantucket in So Cal · More Info

• lascatx
    8 years ago

I certainly think you can play with less formal options. Beadboard would allow you to do hidden doors that go all the way to the ceiling or crown. The wainscoating would seem to suggest a shorter door, but it could be applied to a plain door and blended in. I could also see a barn door treatment or sliding doors like you might see on a bookcase in your room.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Something you might want to check out. Look at Murphy Door. I was on a flight returning home and saw an add for Murphy Doors. They had several variations, but it might be a way to have a decorative shelving/cabinet facing the DR and have hidden storage behind it. I'm going to look into it for space where I've had my computer -- it's basically a 2 ft deep built-in that was designed for tube televisions and I'd like to be able to have books double deep.

• Oaktown
    8 years ago

I like the idea of "hidden" doors as localeater and lascatx mentioned. We have a closet door that blends into our shiplap wall, it did need special hinges and a touch latch. Here are some images (none of these is our house):

Somerset Cottage · More Info

New bathroom · More Info

Beijing Apartment · More Info

And here are a few additional photos of closets in traditional dining rooms:

An Easy Elegance · More Info

In The Country · More Info

Park Slope Brownstone · More Info

Crow's Pond House Dining Room · More Info

laughablemoments thanked Oaktown
  • lazy_gardens
    8 years ago

I like Pal's idea of building the cabinets on both sides of the entry. It maintains symmetry in the room better. You could have the shorter side be the full-depth closet for vacuum and with slots for platters and things.

And for the longer side, consider having some deep sections and some shelves on hinges in front of more shelves.

Open shelves like this:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/210754457536356547/

Or hidden like this one

https://www.houzz.com/photos/interior-of-large-pantry-cabinet-eclectic-kitchen-boston-phvw-vp~558095

laughablemoments thanked lazy_gardens
  • laughablemoments
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ooh, thank you for the new comments and pictures everyone. I've been chewing on the idea of doing 30 in. Closet doors with a 42 inch wide electric fireplace in between them. The wall would extend above the doorway as drawn by Pal, and access to the cleaning closet would be in the wide doorway on the right hand side of the opening. This would give us just enough room to keep the secretary desk next to the window. The desk has sentimental value. It was my grandparents. I refinished it for them as a high school art project, and they couldn't get over how much nicer it looked (it was very dark, and the finish had gone soft.) We don't really have another spot for it.

*Does it look too squishy to include a fireplace?

I just watched some videos on Murphy Doors, Lascatx. Those are really neat. There were also some videos on DIY versions that made them look doable to make. I'm wondering how you manage to swing those open and shut without all of the decorative objects toppling off??

Double deep books? We may need that someday.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Swing gently and don't slam shut. Also look into what they call earthquake wax for securing them to the shelf.

• sheesh
    8 years ago

My dr looks just like yours, laughablemoments, and we have a closet with double bi-fold doors just where you are considering putting yours. I couldn't get along without it. I love the bi-folds, love the storage, love the convenience and the look of it, and bi-folds give you great access to everything in the closet. My doors are four-panel wood and have worked perfectly for the 21 years I've lived here, but I don't know how old they are. They were added by a previous owner.

laughablemoments thanked sheesh
  • laughablemoments
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Earthquake wax, that's what that stuff is called. I remembered that being mentioned over in kitchens, but couldn't think of what it was beyond the "earthquake" part. :-) Thank you. I cannot 100% guarantee gentle door closures. We have 7 Littles at home, and hefty breezes, so slamming doors aren't always child induced, even.

I've been looking through the pics that Oaktown posted (so helpful), and I do like the one with the blue doors. Would something like that be too simple?

Doing batwing storage on some of the doors is a good idea, too, lazy gardens. That would be great for cleaning supplies on the cleaning closet door.

You love your closet, sheesh? That's comforting. If we put this in, I want to be happy with it and not regret cutting in to the openness of the room. Dh has another, more complicated way of supporting the upstairs that would leave the space open, but then where does all the cr*p go?! You'll get a star for posting a picture of your dining room closet. I'd love to see. : )

• mojomom
    8 years ago

I saw this tread on my way to my Mom's house and thought of her dining room. She had these cabinets built during a remodel in 1964, but I think they still look good. She uses the storage on the left for China and the right for silver, etc.. In the far right cabinet she has built in slots for table leaves. Also included is a pic of another wall to show how the trim matches.

laughablemoments thanked mojomom
  • jlc712
    8 years ago

I like your sketched idea, but I think I'd leave out the electric fireplace. Unless you can afford to get a really, really expensive one (and at that point you may as well get a ventless gas one) they generally don't look very nice. I think it would look better to leave a plain wall, or do the center section as a counter/serving surface. You could do a cabinet below and display shelves above.

laughablemoments thanked jlc712
  • PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

Choose cabinetry finish, door style & sizes appropriate to era & your needs.

laughablemoments thanked MDLN
  • sheesh
    8 years ago

I was afraid you'd ask, laughable. I can't post a picture. I don't have a smart phone or a digital camera. Embarrassing, I know. If one of my kids comes home tomorrow, we'll do it then.

laughablemoments thanked sheesh
  • laughablemoments
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you very much for thinking of us and posting pictures of your mom's beautiful dining room, mojomom. I certainly hope that the choices we make for our home will age as gracefully as your mom's. : )

Thanks for the pictures mdln. Those are very nice.

Awww, no worries sheesh. This technological stuff is so hard to keep up with, isn't it. Our video screen for watching movies is hooked up to a speaker cabinet from 1978 (the record player is even still in it) because neither dh nor I are up to figuring out the new sound systems right now, LOL.

We'll leave out the electric fireplace, jlc712. In fact, we've had an about face with the whole project...Now why I didn't do this earlier, I don't know. I drew everything out on graph paper (always better than doing math in your head-oy!), and with the other furniture in the dining room, I was stunned (smacking forehead, here) that there really is only room for an 8' table. Ummmm...we're outgrowing our 8' table already, and 1/2 of our kids are under 10.

That lead to a whole house evaluation, and a complete rearrangement of furniture and room functions. As a result, we flip-flopped our living room and dining room today. (Fortunately, the kitchen is smack dab in the middle of the house with the other rooms on either side of it.) The living room (I mean...new dining room) is 15.5' x 25'. It can handle a dining room table, a big dining room table. Like 16' long big. And that's with putting a closet at one end of the room (so all these closet ideas? They won't be wasted!)

For DH, this means doing the longer, more extensive project of supporting the ceiling with beams rather than a closet, but it will make for a wide open and airy living room(yay, I love airy!), and a long dining room with plenty of room for a larger table. Phew. Since we often have large groups of people over, this should work very well for us. We were even able to work it so that we got more couch and chair seating in the 14'7" x 17' room than we could logistically work in the 15.5' x 25' room. It all seems good.

It is so true that it pays to live in a house for awhile to see how the space functions before making major changes.

Thank you one and all for helping us think this project through. You have been incredibly kind and helpful and I love the creative insights and ideas that you brought forth.