SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nmfruit

Black Mulberry Grafting: throwing in the towel!

9 years ago

OK, so I've attempted probably 100 grafts of my beloved Morus nigra 'Black Beauty' onto established Morus alba rootstock over the past three years without a single success. I've tried both t-budding in July, August, September, and whip and tongue in April around time of rootstock bud break. I wonder if anyone else has had trouble grafting this plant?

I have seen some mention of incompatibility, but all the Morus nigra I've ever seen for sale are grafted plants, which I'm sure use Morus alba as rootstock. I've t-budded apples and peaches relatively easily, but also failed miserably with Elaeagnus (which might not be graftable either), so it may or may not be user error.

I'm wondering if I need to use a different method? What about my climate (very arid, cold nights during spring, etc…)?

I'm frustrated because this plant was one of the main reasons I decided to attempt grafting, but right now I'm really leaning towards abandoning grafting altogether in favor of air layering (notice another post on this topic).

I'd welcome any comments/info… Thanks!

Comments (7)