SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasoncarter

Best time to make a move on this beauty? Florida Haworthia ;)

J Carter Gainesville, FL 9A
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This Haworthia represent one of the most resilient plants in my collection. It's 8 years old, and has survived every poor potting decision I have made. I have potted it up every 3 years and it's time again. I would like some advice regarding the best time of year and whether or not I should split it into multiples. I very much want it to survive but have been grasping at straws and getting lucky. It's currently in a combination of Pea Gravel, Soil Perfector (clay), and sifted pine bark mulch. A loose interpretation of Al's Gritty Mix was my goal. It's alive, but I'm not convinced it's thriving. Out of desperation, I took a cutting as well.

I cut this around the beginning of May and allowed it to callous. I placed it in Fafard's Cactus Mix despite my better judgement regarding good mixes. I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't think pulling it out of the mix this soon (two weeks maybe) will be a problem.

When is the dormant period for this plant?

Should I ditch the cutting's mix and mix up some more Gritty and start with that? Now or later?

Can Haworthias live a healthy life in Florida's heat and humidity?

And any advice on the Mother plant above is still welcome.

Carter

Zone 9a Gainesville, FL

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting