SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llnoe_z5_chicago

Wanted: Forget-Me-Not plants.

llnoe
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi, I'm looking for some forget-me-not plants for trade/postage.

I have lots of tall purple iris, lily of the valley, classic hosta.

Anyone willing to share? Thank you!

Comments (19)

• llnoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Forgot to mention that I also have japanese painted ferns.

• suzy_q_granny
    8 years ago

Last year I had tons of purple, white, blue and pink, I only have a few this year but there is lots of baby's out there they are just being slow ?

• llnoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love the blue ones...not so much the multi colored ones. Wonder why there's only a few this year?

• mom2zandt
    8 years ago

I just planted some forget me not seedlings that i wintersowed. they may be too small to dig back up as I planted them less than a week ago and I don't think they could handle the stress. You're probably looking for larger plants anyway. However... I have been desperately looking for JPF! I sent out a "wanted" request a few weeks ago with no responses. I should have bumped it up. I'm going to a nursery today that I think may have it (I had it planted at my old house and I think that's where I got it!) I wish I could go back to my old house and dig it up ;-) Anyway, take a look at my trade list, and I got a few things at a plant swap last weekend... lady's mantle, "autumn joy" sedum, "bevan's variety" geranium, and the Jack in the Pulpits behind my house are blooming...

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

Are ForgetMeNots biennial or perennial? I have a clump that has just finished flowering. If I give you a partial clump, will they grow or bloom for you next year?

• mom2zandt
    8 years ago

I think I can get some that are bigger than my little seedlings that are down the road from me, and not growing on anyone's private property. It is blooming now, and looks beautiful. I'll see how much I can get, unless too many cars are driving by... but don't worry I won't take it all. It's nice to see it growing in the wild. The perks of living in a heavily wooded area... I think I'll go for a walk now (with a bag and little shovel!)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    8 years ago

IInoe, I am in Maine and I have hundreds of blue forget-me-nots, but they are in bloom now. In my yard, they re-seed freely and may not come up in the exact same spot. I just took this out my back window, and you can see some of them. I'd LOVE some Japanese Painted Fern as I seem to have lost mine in our awful winter, but know know how these in bloom plants would arrive at you home. Feel free to message me, if you'd like to do a trade!

• mom2zandt
    8 years ago

llnoe - I was able to pot up some forget-me-nots (they are in bloom) and would still love to trade for the Japanese Painted Fern (pretty please?)

• llnoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

KarenPA_6b, now I'm starting to wonder. I know that some are annual and some perennial. So I'm wondering if I do get them, will they just die next year, since most have already bloomed and will not have a chance to self sow? Anyone know? And what a beautiful clump. I don't have any yet, I tried to start them from seed a few years ago, but they never came up. They are my very favorite flower and one we had growing profusely when I was a child!

• llnoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My3dogs, I sent you a message.

• llnoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

mom2zandt, I sent you a message too.

• val (MA z6)
    8 years ago

Have you thought about buying seed and sowing them this summer/fall for spring blooms? We bought our house and the forget me nots (all blue) were gorgeous. they have "moved" as they have reseeded, but I tried to move some to another property and none come up there. So I'm guessing mine are definitely annuals that reseed themselves.

Swallowtail garden has several types of forget me not seeds. As a matter of fact, I love my blue forget me so much (all in my front yard), I am going to buy the pink ones for the backyard and sow in the fall. I did find some blue forget me not seeds locally, as well.

• Phylis
    8 years ago

Forget Me Not seeds are usually available at the 20 cents rack at Walmart, Walgreens or dollar stores.

• val (MA z6)
    8 years ago

Really? My dollar store had limited flowers....and Walgreens has seeds!??

• llnoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

val, I did actually sow some seeds in the fall, but they never came up. I saved more seeds for wintersowing, but never got around to it.

• llnoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

phylis, I still have some seeds (see post above). I did check our local hardware stores just a couple of days ago, but they didn't have any.

• llnoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much ladies for all your help and info. A local lady contacted me and we are meeting tomorrow. Hers are still blooming, so if I plant them in my yard (regardless of whether they are the annual variety), they should go to seed and hopefully self sow. I'm so excited!! LOL

• suzy_q_granny
    8 years ago

I do have some now, are you still looking for some ?

These haven't bloomed yet but they are good sized !

Please let me know !

I am still interested in your ferns.

Thank You !

Sponsored