SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gbasmit

Bonsai's which would be the best to grow?

Gawein Smit
8 years ago

Hello i'm new to this forum and I had some questions about bonsai trees.

I have a terrarium for my snakes they are very small about 60 cm tops and I have four of them.

A while ago I bought 2 bonsai trees a ficus and a zanthoxylum cascade.

Both trees that would flourish in a tropical climate. But after a while both the trees started to lose there leaves and both of them sufferd from root rot.

One of them might be dead but I have tried to save it and I will know within a week or two if I succeeded in doing so.

The zanthoxylum will make it I took it out of the terrarium and it seems to heal well.

Now my question is which type of bonsai tree would be the best to keep in an terrarium.

My terrarium is around 28 degrees during day time and about 15 to 20 degrees during the night time.

The size of my terrarium is 90 cm long 40 cm wide and 60 cm tall.

The humidity is around 30 to 40% and I noticed that when both the trees were still in the terrarium this was around 50% and when I had sprayed the bonsai's this could even become 80%!

I have two daylight lamps both 25 watt. 2 night lamps also both 25 watt. And 2 natural light lamps both 13 watt. These both radiate uva light which stimulates growth within trees and plants. It's the same type of light the sun radiates which makes plants and trees grow.

I also have 2 uvb lamps both 13 watt and these also stimulate growth within plants and trees but surely not as much as the uva lamps do.

Another question I have is should I keep the trees in their pot or should I keep them in the terrarium without the pot.

Also what is the best way to fight root rot and even better prevent it?

I hope you people can help me out because my snakes realy like living trees around them because they sleep in them and use them as a form of transportation to move trough the terrarium.

Greetings,

Gawein Smit

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor