SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arthaith_swan

Grass at the edge of pavement dying

C4car
8 years ago

I live in Burnaby, BC. I had new sod installed earlier this year in Feburary. For the most part, the lawn is well established and looks really good. However, with the warm days we've had in the past week, I noticed the grass along the edge of the pavement turning yellow and dying, despite regular watering.

I remembered when the landscaper installed my pavers before the sod went down, he poured a concrete edge along the pavers to keep them braced. Then he laid the sod on top. The result is having only about an inch (or less) of soil for the grass at the edge of the pavers. I'm in the opinion that there just isn't enough soil underneath the grass for the roots to take hold and moisture to be retained in between watering.

I have emailed the landscaper to see what solution he has to solve this problem (I'm still under the 1-year warranty). He replied back that the concrete edge is what they customarily do, and that grass should grow with 2 inches or less of soil. His solution at this time is to top dress the affected areas, apply overseed and water evenly. I'm no expert in landscaping, but this feels like a temporary solution to the actual problem of shallow soil depth along the pavement edge.

Can anyone advise me if this is an acceptable solution? Or should I request for the concrete to be removed and use a different edge retraining method that won't affect grass growth?

Comments (12)