SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_childs

Details when Building

amanda_childs
8 years ago

So, I've been looking at pictures of houses, and I'm wondering where they get the ideas for the details they have. Like transom windows in interior doorways, built-ins in places you wouldn't think of, nooks, beams or other unique ceiling things, etc. Some things like nooks, seem like they'd be designed by the architect. Other seems like things that wouldn't really be shown on plans. Does the builder help with coming up with those details? Like I see Donald Gardner plans and I'm like, I never would've thought to add stuff like that. I mean, its amazing how two houses can look so different from the same set of plans.

We'd like to build our own house, and be our own GC. I know we'd get a functional house, I just don't feel like I have a flair for design (really I don't have a creative bone in my body) and I won't end up with any unique details. If I wanted to design my own plan off of stock plans and build it myself, who would I get to help with the details? Would I get an interior designer to help during the building phase, or are they just for the after it's built part?

Comments (17)