SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
islandgarden

Designing the layout of the kitchen cabinets: where will it all go?

islandgarden
8 years ago

So, we are about to renovate the kitchen and I want to make sure that we use the space as efficiently as possible so that we can store the things we need to store. We will probably use custom cabinets so no need to restrict ourselves to stock cabinets.

The space has:

1) a butler's pantry that will keep its current layout and contains a sink, the dishwasher and the fridge. We will continue to store plates, glasses, cups, bowls and cutlery there. But we need to figure out what is best stored in the lower cabinets (they are narrow: 18" deep).

2) the main kitchen is U shaped and is 80" x 142" x 90". The long 142" run will have three windows and a sink (centered on the middle window). The right 90" leg will have the induction range and a hood so that we can vent to the outside. The ceilings are 9'3" tall so we can have high upper cabinets but only on the 80" leg and the 90" leg (on either side of the induction range) since the 142" run is all windows.

The area in front of the "chimney" currently holds the piano. In future it might serve as a place for extra cabinets or a piece of furniture but for now the piano stays and we have to work with the rest of the space.

Challenges:

--One blind corner in the butler's pantry that is way too small for anything like a super susan or anything that pulls out

--Two blind corners in the main part of the kitchen

Need a place for:

--pots, pans, lids

--appliances (big mixer, blender, rice cooker, food processor--all of which we actually use), hand mixer, small kitchen scale

--bowls, measuring cups, baking supplies, rolling pin

--food pantry

--Tupperware type containers

--kitchen towels and oven mitts

--microwave (but not above the range as I want a hood there)

--aluminium foil, parchment, plastic wrap

--garbage/recycling

--?? I am probably forgetting something

So:

--what should go where?

--where should I use drawers? how many ? how deep?

--super susans vs those double pull out things that seem to use the whole blind corner (?but might be a pain) vs a large open space with doors that open in the corner

--if the food pantry is in the upper cabinets, what can I realistically reach? any way to make this more functional?

--sink size? one bowl is all I want but advice appreciated

I did have a "kitchen designer" begin a design but it seemed to me an exercise in dragging cabinets onto the layout with no real regard for figuring out what works best from a functional perspective or where things should go to be accessible.

Help desperately needed and greatly appreciated...and feel free to help with the lighting plan if you have ideas for that. Sketch below. Thank you!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH