SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saabturbo99

Amend clay bed AFTER planting shrubs?

saabturbo99
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi guys,

I planted about 13 shrubs in front of my house this past weekend. I'm on Long Island, and we have clay soil. More clay than I initially realized.

I amended the soil in the holes for the shrubs (which I now read is a 'no-no'..or is at least hotly debated). When I say amended, I mean I took maybe 50% of the existing fill from when I dug the holes, and to it added peat and top soil in a wheelbarrow, and then returned it to the hole. I then added a little mild organic espoma starter fertilizer. (Perhaps this isn't even considered "amending" though, as I guess I was kind of mild with the alteration?)

I did NOT amend the soil other than the holes (holes were about 2x the rootball sizes, by the way).

The soil is much more clay than I initially realized. I watered around each shrub yesterday morning...and now, tonight, about 36 hours later, the soil around each plant still appears wet. (have not mulched yet)

Can I mix in some amendments in the surrounding soil without disturbing what I just planted?

Thanks for any tips...spent good money and worked hard planting...I want the greatest chance of success.

EDIT: If it is relevant...some of the varieties I planted were dwarf Japanese holly, gold cone juniper, red burgundy barberry, and hydrangea. I also planted a purple flowering perennial, but can't recall the name offhand.

Alex

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor