SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

IKEA Bath Cabinet Hack

Joseph Corlett, LLC
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We needed an IKEA Godmorgon cabinet to complete our bath remodel, but we needed each side of the drawers on the 55"er to go on each end of a 31 1/2" Godmorgon to get the cabinets to fit between the walls. Unfortunately, the panel in the center of the drawers is one piece:

If you're my wife, this is not expected to be a problem. You can't rip a 1 1/4" x 17 3/4" x 23" panel in half without ripping it into 6" sections first:

A 10" blade in a table saw will rip up to 3", but you don't take such a big bite. I pushed an 1 1/2" through then raised the blade for the rest:

The ripped pieces have been reassembled with hot melt glue and solid wood replacing the saw kerf to return the pieces to 17 3/4" exactly. I bought a piece of scrap IKEA door, ripped the edges off at 1/16", and hot melted them full length on the return finish sides to make up for the widthwise rip saw kerf. The pieces are spacers only and unexposed. The center panel is exactly original size, but it's now in two pieces.

The 31 1/2" cabinet sits between the split 55"er. No, I'm not going to stain the stripes; it's a drawer base, no one is ever going to see it but here.

I'll keep you posted on the remodel, but this was a project in itself.

Comments (20)