SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queen_gardener

Aquilegia or Yellow Clover???

queen_gardener
8 years ago

Yellow Clover on left, Aquilegia leaf on right.

Hello,

I just want to start by saying I know what Aquilegia/Columbine looks like as an "adult" but as a seedling, I don't know. I have sprinkled the seeds about as a child and magically the next year there were more blooming Aquilegia, but I didn't pay attention to the sprouting and growing. I bought some seeds from Touchwood, and I also traded for them, and I'm having to transplant most of them from an area that was a very large "vegetable garden" located in part shade that I was going to make into a wildflower area, but we decided to let it return to grass. So now I'm digging up what I'm hoping is Aquilegia and NOT that yellow blooming clover - I have tons of that all over my flower beds I definitely accidentally ripped out handfuls of Aquilegia by my irises earlier this spring, thinking I was nipping my yellow clover problem in the bud, and I don't want to sacrifice any more, but I also don't want to be transplanting weeds. Please tell me I didn't lovingly transplant clovers and not Aquilegia. I ended up stepping on a buried, jagged wooden post and getting stabbed in the foot through my shoes and having to have a very large "splinter" pulled out of my foot. So I just want to know that all this struggle and worry is not in vain!

Below are my transplants.....

Above is what I hope is Aquilegia by my irises.

Thanks!!!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting