SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cinnamontree

Tonka Bean (Dipteryx Odorata)

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

After waiting three years, searching across the internet, and speaking to many people from many different countries, I'm happy to say that I have gotten a hold of viable tonka beans from my Uncle who works on a ship near Trinidad.

This is the third time he has sent the beans, and the most I've gotten at once (just over 200 before sorting through for broken or fermented ones).

The first round ever, I had one turn green while it was in the soil, but rotted shortly thereafter and did not grow. I was determined to get them to grow, and I think this time I'm having more success! You can see in the second picture that the embryo has started extending into the soil. I'd imagine this means good things.

Many of the seeds begin to rot or crumble if you soak them ahead of planting, especially if you remove the seed coating like I've done here. I think maybe the coumarins in the coating seize bacterial and fungal growth in order to protect the seed during germination and seedling development.

I don't have much experience mailing things, but I know there has to be someone out there as excited as I am about these seeds. Does anyone have any experience whatsoever or want to give some a go? I am debating putting a small number up for sale online since literally nobody sells them. (TropiLab is a joke.)

Comments (30)