SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
devin_mendoza

Genetically Modified "Organic" Fertilizers

Devin Mendoza
8 years ago

Hello fellow Garden Webber's,

I have had a hard time sourcing/filtering the information I seek on using organic fertilizers that consist of GMO ingredients.

So soybean, corn, alfalfa and plenty of other organic soil amendments are readily available, but almost all of it is conventionally raised, and more than likely GMO.

What is an organic gardener to do? I've stopped using synthetics in favor of organics, but using commonly found organic fertilizers that are chalked full of GMO ingredients seems like the devil in disguise here!

I have found few places that sell non GMO organic ammendments, but none local and are outrageous to have shipped (~$80 shipped for 50lbs of soybean meal).

This isn't practical for most and compost may not be made in high enough quantities to negate the need for organic fertilizer supplementing.

I'm still checking in with a company called Texas Natural Fertilizers to see if their Elite Layer chicken feed would be ok for vegetable fertilizer. It's non GMO and uses peanut meal as the prime ingredient. Its also non medicated but has vitamin supplements.

Thoughts?

Skip the fertilizers and buy compost instead?

Thanks in advance for your input.

-Devin

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022