SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sebandninasmom

1920s Inspired Blue and white Kitchen/Butler's Pantry Finished!

sebandninasmom
8 years ago

In record time (5 weeks from demo to the studs to complete) we have a finished kitchen! We had a very firm deadline, hosting a party for 85 the day after completion, and hosting 10 over night the day of completion. Yes, crazy. But it worked and we are thrilled with the results. Thanks for all the feedback, layout advice and help! Really made the process so much better and we appreciate it so very much. What a great group of generous and smart people!

view from foyer

Butler's Pantry Close Up

Butler's Pantry

View from Butler's Pantry

range wall and prep

banquette

Clean Up

What we love:

The banquette which was used to seat 9 (some were kids) and was definitely a hangout spot immediately. The fact that I can be at sink cleaning while someone else is cooking and we are not in each other's way at all! The prep space between prep sink and stove (looks small here, but we moved the utensils and oil so theres plenty of space). The light that comes in from the patio door to the clean up space, makes me not miss a window over the sink. The space in the middle of the kitchen so it never feels crowded. The high glass cabinets that house rarely used items that are still pretty. The proximity of table to fridge (to grab more water or ketchup). The small but useful pull out pantry next to fridge. The whole Butler's Pantry, is a great transition from the rest of the house into the kitchen space. The lighting, (in upper cabinets, below cabinets, chandler, and can lights, so many options).

What we could have done better:

The banquette bench is a bit too high, so now we have to make thin cushion and add a few foot rests. We will be adding a back at some point.

What we have learned- Yes, honed marble will scratch and etch and all that jazz. Immediately, And now we see it, it's not a problem for us. No stains yet, but I am sure its a matter of time. Our house is old, and has lots of beautiful character, so ideally the marble will look like part of that character at some point. The SS sink and counter will also scratch.

The Basics:

1927 House drove our desire to have a 1920s inspired kitchen

GC Detroit Build (great work, good people, complete on tight deadline)

White cabinets made by Tom's Cabinetry in MI (excellent work)

Carrera Marble Counter and Table Top (honed)

Stainless Steel Clean Up counter with integrated sink (local fabricating company in MI)

White, matte subway with grey grout

Banquette bench (counter height) made by carpenter on site (has one sliding drawer)

Table- made by cabinet maker, cherry legs, walnut stain

Shelving in prep area was a happy accident due to unmovable support beam/waste pipe, made from stock shelves at Lowes

Veronna dual fuel 36 in, Whirlpool 27 in wall oven/micro combo, Whirlpool dishwasher, Frigidaire 22.6 french door counter depth

floor- Viking Urban Barn (3 and 5 inch planks, pre-finished hardwood)

Pulls and knobs- antique iron finish

blue wall color- Tear Drop Blue (BM)

Butler's Pantry-

Original Cabinets painted Peacock Feather (BM)

Pulls and Chandelier- Pewter

Counter top- original refinished with walnut stain

wallpaper Thibaut

Will post some before pics in separate post.

Comments (48)

• sebandninasmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And here are a few before pictures:

It's hard to tell from these pictures, but the before there was NO space to move. All the aisles were way too small and there was no eat in space at all and very little usable counter space. Just trimming back the wall that now enters into the clean up area (where the lovely track lighting was) made so much difference!

• Related Discussions

Butlers Pantry Finished!

Q

Comments (29)
    Absolutely gorgeous--what a transformation! I am inspired by the cabinetry and and think your gray would work well with my Kashmir white/Bianco Romano granite that I have never really taken to. I would love to see the adjoining kitchen if you would be willing to share. Thanks Nancy
    ...See More

Finished Kitchen: White-ish, charcoal counters and blue glass bs

Q

Comments (43)
    Alexx - I really love your kitchen! It came out beautifully!! I have a question about your counters. I am doing a similar look with the white shaker cabs (framed w/full overlay) and quartz (Caesarstone Raven) countertops. I will also be doing a mitered edge with a 1.5" overhang. My question is ... how far do your counters project past your cabinet boxes, as well as past the doors/drawer fronts. There is some dispute between my cabinet maker and the countertop folks. Cabinet maker says I should have a 1" projection past the doors/drawer fronts, while the countertop folks are suggesting a "flush" appearance (not truly flush, but more like a 1/4" projection). Can you tell me what yours are? And if anyone reading this has suggestions or advice, I would appreciate it! Thank you!
    ...See More

Design Around This #3: 1920s Kitchens and All That Jazz

Q

Comments (129)
    Jterrilyn, that floor is actual antique tile I saw on The Antique Floor Company's site (see link below). They're a French company based in Burgundy. This particular floor sold a good while ago (understandably). It was, quote, "recovered from a town house in the Champagne region of France." I'm sure it wasn't cheap, and shipping it from Burgundy to the US would also not be cheap. There are several close-ups at the website that you could use to recreate this tile, if you had infinite money. :-) Here is a link that might be useful: French antique floor tile at the Antique Floor Company
    ...See More

does your butler's pantry match your kitchen?

Q

Comments (8)
    jgirl2007: Unfortunately, I don't have a butler's pantry (but I sure will if I ever rebuild!) and so I can't help you, but I am wondering whether you can help me? You mentioned that you intend having a full granite backsplash - this is something that we too would like to do. We will have light painted cabinets with a dark chocolate stained island. We wanted a granite with movement, but now that we want to do a full backsplash, we are chickening out and thinking that we need something more neutral/quiet on the back. Could you tell me what colour you have picked for your cabinets and for the granite? Do you have any inspiration pictures? How did you decide that you wanted a full granite backsplash? Thanks for your help, Anna
    ...See More
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I love it! We are starting demo on the kitchen and hall bath in our 1925 French revival house tomorrow. And we have a blue and white kitchen with marble counters planned. So it's particularly nice to see how beautiful yours is!

sebandninasmom thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

Oh my gosh!! I was looking at the after pics and thinking, that butlers pantry looks familiar. Then I saw the rest of the space and said, nah, must be a different one.

When I got to your before pics I couldn't believe that is actually the same house!!! Holy cow what a difference!!!

• User
    8 years ago

Beautiful!

sebandninasmom thanked User
  • edwina 1330
    8 years ago

really lovely! congratulations!

sebandninasmom thanked edwina 1330
  • maddielee
    8 years ago

Beautiful!

sebandninasmom thanked maddielee
  • jlc712
    8 years ago

Wow, what a difference from before to after. I especially love your butler's pantry and that beautiful wallpaper!

sebandninasmom thanked jlc712
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Wow! Just wow. :)

sebandninasmom thanked cpartist
  • lisa_a
    8 years ago

I remember when you were asking for lay-out advice. And now you're done already?! Wow!

Love it! I especially love the cab color and wall paper in your BP and that you kept the space intact. I love the banquette and your marble counters, too. And your wall color (love blue)! I can't believe it's the same space. You certainly did homage to your home's era. Well done!

sebandninasmom thanked lisa_a
  • bpath
    8 years ago

It's all fabulous! And I love how you worked with the little idiosyncrasies, that make it totally 20's-evocative but ready for modern use!

sebandninasmom thanked bpath
  • alexamorrie
    8 years ago

Perfect kitchen for a 1920's house. We used to own an art deco era home. The original kitchen hutches were in the basement. While they were stand alone cabinets, not like a modern built in units, yours captures the feel of them. Mine were painted white.

I covet your butler's pantry.

sebandninasmom thanked alexamorrie
  • nhbaskets
    8 years ago

What a transformation! Spectacular job! Enjoy!

sebandninasmom thanked nhbaskets
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

OMG!!!!!!! Your project actually popped into my head the other day and I was wondering if you had started yet. I also remember well your horrible before kitchen and all the tweaks to your planning. It was an exciting project because the rest of your house is so beautiful that it was a shame to have an awful kitchen in it. And now you don't. You have a beautiful kitchen that also looks functional and fun to be in. I knew it was going to turn out great but it is even better than I imagined. I don't know where to begin in my compliments because it's all so nice and so cohesive. (OK, special shout-out to the chandelier over the banquette, lol).

I can't believe you hosted so many people the next day. You're a domestic goddess!

Bravo!

sebandninasmom thanked funkycamper
  • lisa_a
    8 years ago

No kidding, funkycamper! I will admit, though, that the words "brave" and "crazy" also popped into my head when I read about hosting a party the next day. = ) Seriously, I'm in awe of your hosting skills and fortitude, sebandninasmom.

sebandninasmom thanked lisa_a
  • Shelley Graham
    8 years ago

What a light and beautiful space you've created! Congratulations on sticking to your timeline. Sounds like you had some great contractors to match your wonderful vision.

sebandninasmom thanked Shelley Graham
  • sebandninasmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks all! We are definitely happy. The wall paper one of my favorite parts, and funny thing it wasn't even found until we were a few weeks in. And from there the color scheme was solidified.
    As far as crazy, important to note I didn't cook for the party! But yes, a bit nuts. Nothing like a timeline to get projects done.

Funky camper, your layout advice/questions/ info were instrumental in helping me understand that not all kitchens need, or should have, islands. And you raised the banquette as an eat in option. We are very happy that we have spaciousness and enough work space and enough cozy eat in space. So thank you again for these great ideas!
  • heffer569
    8 years ago

Sebandninasmom what part of Michigan are you in. Where you happy with ur cabinet maker. We are looking for a custom cabinet maker to build some custom vanities for us in the metro Detroit area

• sebandninasmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes, we were happy with our cabinet maker. Tom's Cabinetry on Gratiot and 23 Mile in Chesterfield. Tom pays attention to detail and is a good person to work with. The folks installing were impressed by his workmanship and quality as well.
  • heffer569
    8 years ago

Thanks do u have his number

• zwizzle1
    8 years ago

Oh my! How beautiful it turned out. And how suited to the character of your house. I love the wallpaper and chandy in the butler's pantry. Congrats on your success in completing a lovely warm kitchen and entertaining 85 guests the next day!!

sebandninasmom thanked zwizzle1
  • rebunky
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You did an incredible job! I love everything, but especially the butlers pantry and how you really kept its original integrity with the wall paper (love the color and pattern!) blue painted cabs, wood counters and ss sink. Yet the chandelier and new hardware makes it look even more period authentic. Wonderful!

sebandninasmom thanked rebunky
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Absolutely love it. You did a wonderful job planning all the work areas--everything looks as if it's always been there. How did you handle replacing/refinishing the wood tops in the butler's pantry? I remember the issue with the cabinets.

sebandninasmom thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • sebandninasmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

mama goose, We kept the original wood counters in the Butler's Pantry. We just removed the horrible not matching bullnose edging that had likely been part of the 1980s remodel, sanded the counters, stained a walnut brown and sealed. There are definitely imperfections and spots that came through even with sanding and staining, but we came to really understand that perfection was not what we were going for. I

We are really so glad we lived with our kitchen for 2 years before doing anything. When we first moved in we had several design/build firms give estimates and layout ideas and many of them involved getting rid of the "dated" Butler's Pantry in favor of a larger more modern kitchen. We LOVE the Butler's Pantry (even before its update), and came to see the beauty/convenience in the old fashion layout.

The wallpaper was an example of the advantage of the short timeline. We had thought we were going grey for BP cabinets and looked for a silvery grey wall paper. Nothing stood out to us. So, when we found the paper we used, we just designed the color scheme around that, since the painters were coming the next day and needed the colors. Went to the local paint/wallpaper store, asked the color expert for his advice on cabinet color, and picked paint on the spot. No time to fret about it! Funny thing is, my husband thought we picked the same paper but in the darker blue version so he was a bit surprised when he came home and saw the colors. I guess I forgot which version we picked and when on the spot I saw the light blue version I just went with it.

I really do credit hanging out here for many of our decisions. The KDs we had in all came up with not that useful layouts. But being here and getting so much great feedback helped me figure out how we needed our kitchen to function. The zone planning really is what made the difference.

• eam44
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It's lovely and I hope you enjoy your new kitchen in the best of health, I truly do. But just for future reference the code words for "finished in five weeks" are "took longer than expected." It keeps those of us who are a year-or-so in from losing all hope :)

• Kimberly N
    8 years ago

Beautiful!

• dcward89
    8 years ago

Looking at the before and after pics I can't even figure out how it is the same space!! Love the stainless steel counters in the clean up area and bp. Also love the original wallpaper. Really nice job of turning that 80's monstrosity into something warm, cozy and appropriate for the rest of your home.

• redtartan
    8 years ago

Love it, awesome job. I especially like the butlers pantry. That wallpaper is fantstic in that space. Such a great space to be able to do a bold pattern! Lovely home.

• amykath
    8 years ago

That butlers pantry is amazing! You did an incredible job. Your entire kitchen is lovely. Great choice of color and finishes. You must be thrilled!!!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Thank you, I'm happy that you were able to keep the original tops in the BP. They look gorgeous--I want to come over and run my hands over them. So happy, too, that you didn't listen to the designers and builders who wanted to gut the pantry!

• sebandninasmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Eam44, thank you. I definitely didn't mean to gloat and I'm sorry if it came across that way. Some projects (many probably) could not be finished on such a timeline. I was thinking that perhaps a firm no one wants to screw up a milestone birthday party deadline was very helpful in keeping our project on track and that it might be a helpful tool in some circumstances. Certainly not always! Best of luck in getting to the finish line.
  • schoolhouse_gw
    8 years ago

Oh heck yeah! (wanted to use another "h"word but thought moderators might not like). the butler's pantry is to die for.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Wow, great job!!!! I love the stainless work sinks. I have a stainless prep table and love it. You will get used to the scratches in no time :)

• adja
    8 years ago

You have a beautiful space! All the details from lighting, to countertop and hardware are gorgeous! Enjoy your new kitchen!

• sivalleysteph
    8 years ago

Very nice! I can't believe you finished in 5 weeks. I think that is the most impressive part. Enjoy!

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    8 years ago

Yours is an absolutely stunning kitchen. Congrats.

• klcharles
    8 years ago

Lovely! So much beautiful character. I love it. Your subway tile looks great- how dark of a grey is the grout? Light? Med? Hard to tell from the pics but the amount of contrast is perfect.

• mgmum
    8 years ago

Gorgeous! Every bit of it!

• amg765
    8 years ago

Wow - That is amazing how fast you went from unbelievably hideous to gorgeous.

• wwbungalow
    8 years ago

Beautiful!!

• mathteachr
    8 years ago

What a great looking kitchen! I especially like the blue cabinets in the butler's pantry, with the chandelier, and the stainless steel counter in the main cleanup area. I want to do a similar counter in my cleanup area - did you find having it fabricated locally to be reasonably priced?

• sebandninasmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Klcharles- The grout is a medium grey. The installer gave us the options of silvery, medium or dark and we picked medium.

Mathtchr- The stainless counter fabricator was local, and sourcing that was a slightly more difficult piece. The company we used does mostly commercial work. Considering that the price included the sink it was reasonable but not inexpensive. We also had the timeline issue to contend with, so we were limited to fabricators who would make the countertop from a template, we couldn't wait for the cabinets to be installed and then have the top made. Definitely one of my favorite parts of the kitchen though, so worth the trouble/expense for us.
  • stephanj
    8 years ago

Love it! Love the banquette and the open shelf corner. Love that you were true to the house, and are embracing patina as part of that! Gorgeous. nicely done.

• christina222_gw
    8 years ago

What a gorgeous transformation! I love it and those open shelves look perfect, what a fortunate situation to end up with them.

• eam44
    8 years ago

Seb, thank you for your good wishes. You weren't gloating at all, and I was mostly kidding. I should have been done by now and I can't imagine being finished even five weeks from now. I left a message for the contractor helping me with structural things and I actually started to cry. Over my kitchen. Because he doesn't show up and I can't move forward without a blasted beam and some major plumbing. I met with a new contractor this week, inspired in part by you.

• momcat2000
    8 years ago

Just beautiful, it would be right at home in my kitchen if I had the square footage

• michoumonster
    8 years ago

wow, love it! your kitchen has so much charm and character, new and fresh, yet it feels like it always belonged.

• cabins20
    6 years ago

Late to this thread but your BPantry shares a lot in common with what we're contemplating. Can you share dimensions of:

1. width of floor

2. width (i.e., depth) of each countertops

3. width (ie, depth) of cabinets?

And do you recommend any changes to those for a de novo project? We're considering:

40-42" for the floor width - do not want it too wide or there is lost efficiency of movement; but of course do not want to be confined when a drawer is opened;

18" deep countertops - this is, after all not the kitchen, but is a clean-up and storage area. But if we do not place the d/w at the nether dead-end of this long room (we may or may not), then at least one counter will of course need be the requisite 24 for the d/w

15" & 18" deep cabinets.

Thanks for your and any others' advice...perhaps we will begin a thread of its own.