SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christymerrick

Marks on Quartz Countertops?

christymerrick
8 years ago

Losing my mind over counter tops! Our contractor suggested quartz (Caesar Stone) as an alternative to marble for its better durability. Got a few samples of quartz in marble-ish colors (which are nice, but don't in my opinion match the beauty of the real thing), and tried to scratch, etc. thinking I'd be amazed by the durability. They didn't "scratch" (didn't break the surface), but there are clearly dark marks on the samples where I scratched with the knife. I can write with a knife point with ease. Makes me think think these will be marked up in no time. I don't get it! Now I think maybe granite is the way to go for durability. We've had what I assume is granite in our kitchen for years (I put hot pans straight from the oven on it, cut on it, spill, etc.), and I wasn't even aware that sealers for granite exist. Can anyone help clear this up?

Comments (52)

• jmarino19
    8 years ago

I have had C-stone frosty carina installed for more than a year. No scratches, marks, or chips. I got a rounded edge. We are not delicate with these, though we do use trivets or pot holders under "just off the stove top or out of the oven" items. I have cleaned up any number of stains and marks w soap and water. I have used the scruby side of a blue pad from time-to-time. Good luck with your decision.

christymerrick thanked jmarino19
  • annaship1
    8 years ago

I suspect what you are seeing as "marks" are just carbon marks from the knife. You will likely be able to scrub these off -- try some comet/ajax and/or a scotchbrite pad. You may also be able to remove them with a pencil eraser.

christymerrick thanked annaship1
  • Related Discussions

Marks on quartz countertops

Q

Comments (3)
    Scott G: I've had success with Quartz Renew from Regent Stone Products, however, before I'll touch your top, you'll agree in writing that it's ruined and that I will only make it better.
    ...See More

Does anyone know how to fix a burnt Mark on a quartz countertop

Q

Comments (1)
    Were you in my area, I'd figure out how much a replacement piece would cost and charge you half with a $1,000.00 minimum. If I didn't get the mark removed and the finish matched to your satisfaction, no charge. Everybody wins. The good news is it looks like a resin burn only. It doesn't appear any of the quartz crystals have "popped" (turned white). Those can be drilled and filled, but make the repair trickier. Getting the burn out is the easy part. Getting the finish to match after the burn is gone is tough. Not at all a DIY or handyman project. This ain't granite or solid surface. Expect anyone who touches it to get you to acknowledge in writing that the top is ruined and that they can only make it better. You may want to settle for a less-than-perfect repair, especially if color/particulate match material is not available. You may have a discontinued estone; that may mean replacing all the tops to get perfection.
    ...See More

Cloudy mark on new Quartz countertop

Q

Comments (5)
    Abrasion marks can only be rarely polished out. And only by an experienced expert. This should have been viewable on the slab that was shipped in. It’s inexcusable that it went through fabrication before it was discovered.
    ...See More

newly installed quartz countertop has cloudy marks wipe marks

Q

Comments (18)
    The only solution to remove dull marks is to repolish the entire countertop using professionals who use a diamond grinder. Next time, avoid installing quartz. Regardless of the manufacturer, opt for natural stone like granite or quartzite instead.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    8 years ago

Quartz is harder than steel. Even high quality carbon steel. That's why cutting things on quartz ruins your knives. It leaves little bits of the metal behind. Which you are seeing as "marks". It's the left behind metal that deposited on the harder quartz. It will scrub right off.

christymerrick thanked ProSource Memphis
  • christymerrick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well that seems very obvious now, but didn't occur to me before your very helpful comments, Houzzers! Thank you. I had tried wiping off, but hadn't tried scrubbing. Tried some Comet and marks are all gone. Take-home message for me: yes, these are durable counter tops, but a light color will require scrubbing to keep it looking good.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    8 years ago

I am a fabricator. One consideration with quartz tops (any brand) is that some of the surface material is the petrochemical based resin that is the binder for the various inclusions. The resin is quite soft relative to steel cutlery and will scratch quite readily with a knife. The scratched resin can be almost invisible or readily apparent depending on the ambient lighting, the color of the quartz slab, and the size of the resin area damaged by the knife. In most cases the scratched resin is very inconspicuous. A repair on a bad scratch is usually possible and reasonably effective at making the scratch "disappear".

christymerrick thanked Granite City Services
  • sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

The resin is quite soft relative to steel cutlery and will scratch quite readily with a knife.

We did actual testing with a sharp knife (both chopping and slicing). No scratches, at all.

christymerrick thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • bethlawton
    5 years ago
    Hi Houzzers. We just installed Arctic White quartz in our bathroom. I was shocked about a week later to discover dark gray lines/smudges (not scratches) on the edge, approximately where your belt would be.
    I called the retailer and he said that quartz reacts to metal and rubbing it with VIM would remove them. It did.
    We are considering installing a marble look quartz for our kitchen, but now I’m worried that it will be too light and will show those marks if and when the same thing happens again.
  • Tracie Battaglini
    5 years ago

bethlawton what is VIM?

• Sally
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We just had Denali White Della Terra quartz from AZ Tile installed in our kitchen a few weeks ago. . I have light Black- like pencil looking lines on the mitered edges going both vertically and horizontally. On all the edges. Its only been in a few weeks. I just asked the installer and he said he thought it was something called MAR. He said he has a product that he is sure will eliminate it for good and is doing this next week. I have googled the term MAR, but cant find this term, unless I am spelling it incorrectly. Anyway, no one else has heard of this , even my installer, until I saw your posting. Glad I am not imagining this. I find myself constantly wiping down the White Quartz. It looks very beautiful, but had I been able to find White Granite that I liked (there is no white granite) , I would have gotten that, as I did not want the maintenance of Marble .My bathrooms are all QUARTZITE, Madre Pearl, but I didnt want that in my kitchen as too grayish. All the Quartzite no matterwhat the design, looked the same to me. I wanted the white white ! Anyway, I hope he can eliminate these lines. If he cant, well. I will definetely NOT BE A HAPPY CAMPER, and will proceed from there.

• jj610
    5 years ago
    Steph often times the quartz and granite samples are stored or shipped together without anything in between so they can easily scratch each other. Scratches on the samples shouldn’t be cause for concern.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

" I have light Black- like pencil looking lines on the mitered edges going both vertically and horizontally. On all the edges."

Sounds like poor adhesive color match to me. If so, there is no fix.

Pictures, please.

• Sally
    5 years ago

The color match on the mitered edge is perfect. Its something else, maybe adhesive or glue residue when they did the miter. Some of it has come off with soap & water or bar keepers friend, but then it comes back. Bad Miter job? excess adhesive and or scratched in the process?? Its not like they are dark, but sort of light grey. But I am very conscious of it and will not acceot it this way. its mostly on mitered edge.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Finger contamination at glue-up is possible. He may have put a dirty print everywhere he felt for flush before clamping the miters. I've bled into glue joints and red rarely goes with anything else.

• Sally
    5 years ago

Yuck!

• bethlawton
    5 years ago
    Tracie Battaglini
    VIM is a strong but gentle cream cleaner. Possibly available only in Canada.
  • Sally
    5 years ago

Ok, it has been 3 months since my White Denali quartz from Arizona Tile was installed. The Fabricator, who is one of the best in town, came right over and told me what I was seeing on edges was carbon lines from belts as there is no seam in the Edge as I had thought, therfore no glue as someone has suggested. We have now figured out that my grey lines appearing every once in a while are carbon lines from pans etc. They come right off With soap and water or sometimes bar keepers friend or softscrub with no bleach . I love my White Quartz Counters, but they are by no means low maintenance!!

• kathyrohlfing
    5 years ago

When I put cookie sheets or any aluminum pans on my white quartz counter top, I get faint, but visible, silver/grey lines on my counter. So far have not been able to remove these marks.

• Sally
    5 years ago

Get Scrubbing bubbles without bleach and a Mr Clean magic eraser. They will wipe right off! I cant believe people dont ask or complain About this phenomnon. My tile guy said he has NEVER had a client mention this and he has installed a lot of white quartz. the soap and water and barkeepers friend does not always work. But the scrubbing bubbles without bleach and magic eraser will wipe it right off! No elbow grease involved! Let me know how it goes!

Sally

• Sally
    5 years ago

I must be on another post as well, as i posted this there. Those lines im told are the same thing that happens on fine china when your silverware comes in contact with it. Anything with an alloy in it. Because the quartz is so hard. The alloy reacts with the quartz, or the resin in the quartz,not sure which. I feel like i have a big etch a sketch...lol. But now the solution is here, and im finally at peace

• Hj Cyr
    5 years ago

Good quality quartz is really hard - harder than metal knives or belt buckles etc... the lines you see are metal transfered onto the surface of the quartz. You can remove it with a plain old white rubber household eraser. Works like a charm. BTW don't use Magic Erasures on the surface of anything (quartz or otherwise) - those are equivalent to 400 grit sandpaper and WILL scratchyour suface and void your warranty

• Sally
    5 years ago

If you wet the Magic Eraser it is less potent and used lightly with scrubbing bubbles it is perfect! I have read several articles that say you can use it Wet, on white quartz

• BlahBlahBlah
    5 years ago

I have white Denali quartz on my kitchen counters. An unknowing guest used a small surface of the countertop as a cutting board. Now I have small knife marks on the surface of the quartz. The installer says replacement is the only option. Is there way to buff out the marks - even if it means buffing the entire area? I know quartz does not need sealing, but If I buff, will the quartz require any other treatment afterwards? Thanks for your advice!

• Sally
    5 years ago

We are SPECIFICALLY TOLD NOT TO CUT DIRECTLY ON QUARTZ. So the only thing you can try is a magic eraser which is actually a light sandpaper

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

BlahBlahBlah:

Your installer is wrong. Quartz can be fixed with Quartz Renew.

You would send me an email acknowledging the top is ruined and that I could only make it better before I'd give it a shot. Expect the same.

• Sally
    5 years ago

I wasn’t the one with the problem. My white Quartz is fine After I started using scrubbing bubbles and the magic eraser as I have said numerous times for the little grey marks caused by anything metal like on fine china. You were the one that said my grey marks were fingerprints in the glue . I think it’s a group effort to take care of white quartz. It’s not as simple as some people say. Yes, once you get a handle on it and know what you are doing , you can keep it looking great. Thanks for the tip! If Someone ever cuts directly on my white quartz now know what to do. Those pads however look like fine sandpaper to me, just like the magic eraser And it wasn’t my installer who gave me any info, it was the quartz manager at Arizona Tile

• BlahBlahBlah
    5 years ago

Thank you for recommending Quartz Renew Joseph. I'm in New Mexico, so testing it out will need to be done by a local here. I appreciate your help!

• HU-394771428
    3 years ago

Hi We’ve just installed Hanstone and I was trying to remove some glue/scratches with a magic eraser. All the marks came off but now I’m left with two whiter dull marks on my white countertop. I’ve tried the Baking soda paste and nothing. I use magic eraser on everything even my stainless stain without any problems. I used to have granite and was never something I doubt to use before.

Help!

• kathyrohlfing
    3 years ago

I don't know if this will help with the scratch marks, but I have had good luck using Soft Scrub gel with bleach on just about everything. My quartz is white also.

• HU-394771428
    3 years ago

The soft scrub gel with bleach doesn’t make the polish dull?

• Sally
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I use scrubbing bubbles WITHOUT BLEACH and the magic eraser. Works fine on most. Some spots I had to use quartz Resin polish which I mentioned in an earlier post

• HU-394771428
    3 years ago

Where do I bye this Resin polish?

• Sally
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

https://www.granquartz.com/

QUARTZ RENEW RESIN POLISH, STEP 2, 8OZ

$29.95 Subtotal $29.95 Shipping & Handling $11.64 Tax $2.14 Grand Total$43.73

When someone had to come out to my home to get a spot off that nothing else worked with, this is what I was told to get. The guy who came out actually removed the spot using this. Honestly, I have not had to use it since. Hope it works for you. I did not leave anything dull. So much for LOW Maintenance on Quartz...........the suff they don't tell ya!!!

• HU-394771428
    3 years ago

I accidentally used soft scrub with bleach and made my two dull spots bigger omg I don’t know what I did but made everything worst! I haven’t even used my counter top was still waiting on my backsplash. I’m so disappointed in myself. I feel like crying. It cost us 10k just for the countertops. Hanstone is the brand

• HU-394771428
    3 years ago

• kathyrohlfing
    3 years ago

I have used Soft Scrub Gel, make sure it says gel on the container, and the gel is green/blue, not white. I have used it on white quartz with good results. It is much less abrasive then the white soft scrub. Good luck.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

HU:

Quartz Renew from Gran Quartz in the hands of a professional is your only solution.

• HU-394771428
    3 years ago

So I can’t do anything to fix it myself?

how much would it cost to have someone do it?

• HU-394771428
    3 years ago

At least it is fixable ?

• Sally
    3 years ago

You can DO IT YORSELF. You don’t need an electric sand/buffer. The guy who came out said I could do it nyself

• Sally
    3 years ago

I had already given her the granquartz Link and product 4 comments before Corlett

• HU-394771428
    3 years ago

Yes but when I called them they told me it can get yellow

• Sally
    3 years ago

Didn’t happen to me Bleach is a nono

• Karen VanMackelberg
    3 years ago

VIM power and shine spray works amazing on quartz for carbon marks

• Lucy O'Neill
    2 years ago

My quartz technition told me to only use Method Granite cleaner on my quartz. clean it once a day and kerps it looking good.

• Sally
    2 years ago

I started this whole thread. As much as i like the look of the White Quartz, I would NEVER get Quartz again. You can use a Magic Eraser or scrubbing bubbles without bleach (there are 2 kinds) . I just use the Magic Eraser. The problem is when quartz first came out, none of these stores had salespeople that were advised of the pitfalls of quartz. Granite was SO MUCH easier. Or Quartzite which is natural. The alloy marks from when an alloy comes in contact with quartz are the black marks you see...as quartz is extemley hard. You get these marks on fine China. Get a some Magic erasers and youll be fine. Then soap and water.

• HU-690274025
    2 years ago

To the person who suggested a pencil eraser, you're my new best friend. This actually worked really well for me!

• dlreich123
    last year

I used prncil eraser on my wuartz countertop to remove pencil marks. now i have dull spits. i will never use an eraser again. trying yo figure out how to buff out the dill marks. any suggestions?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Use a little acetone on a clean white rag or paper towel please.

• HU-442925411
    last year
    last modified: last year

Problem with quartz is that industry is not telling the truth. Quartz is hardest material, harder than granite but the so called quartz slabs are not pure quartz, most of the quartz slabs has less than 60% quartz rest is all sort of industrial waste like granite/marble powder from quarry, glass and concrete and biggest culprit is the resin. Most manufacture states percentage of quartz vs resin by weight, this is just the marketing tactics, stone is heavier than plastic resin, if you look at volume most slab has 15-30% resin. Resin is biggest culprit when it comes to quartz staining and dull marks, resin is very soft material and it reacts with any household product like lemon juice, vinegar, wine, soap, tomato juice etc. and when you spill any kind of acidic/alkaline on quartz it creates etch mark, which looks like stain but it is a chemical reaction with resin, which you cannot get out unless you re-polish surface by professional guy. Even regular use abrasive object like magic eraser, or scotchbrite will create a dull mark when you rub quartz countertop with it for cleaning, it is cutting though soft resin and destroying fine finish. Quartz need to be treated like a baby, it is good for display in galley but not for daily use in kitchen. Egypt pyramid has granite which has withstand 3000-4000 year of abuse but todays quartz cannot withstand normal use and tear of daily kitchen activity. I made mistake of installing quartz, but I will never go back to quartz natural stone/granite is best option for me.