SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jhanaoka

Looking for feedback on this floor plan...

jhanaoka
8 years ago

Hi all - I'm hoping to get some expert feedback from you all on this floor plan. Here's the backstory on this. My parents recently purchased this house in northern California. It's a small house (about 1200 sqft), and is a major fixer-upper. We've already gutted the whole house and plan to do a complete renovation and add square footage as well. We are pushing out the back wall 10ft, the left wall 5ft, and adding an addition to the front - pretty much the maximum allowable in keeping with setback regulations. Here are the objectives we are trying to achieve:

- 4 bedrooms, 2 or 3 bathrooms.

- My dad is wheelchair-bound due to a stroke, so he will have his own room due to his medical needs, and the bathroom by his room needs to be handicap-accessible. The hallway to his room will ideally be 4' wide.

- My parents will always need live-in care-givers. Currently it is me and my sister, however, it could be other family members in the future, such as my brother and his family. Consequently, we'd like to try to accommodate for those possibilities, which would include a second living space in addition to the family room, and an office space.

Below is the layout we've currently come up with. The 3D-rendering below is rotated a bit - the view is from the back corner of the house (you can see the chimney for reference). I'd appreciate any advice and/or critique from the experts here.

Thanks!

Comments (12)