SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hudson___wy

Jersey Boy VS Red Rose

hudson___wy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Many are of the opinion that Red Rose and Jersey Boy are a duplicate variety - just with different names and different origins. I don't know if there is a difference in the tomato productivity, size, appearance and taste from each variety - so I decided to plant them both this year and find out. I planted them from seeds the same day - planted them in the GH the same day - and planted them side by side so their treatment will be identical throughout the growing season - then you can be the judge if there is any difference between the plants.

Here is Tomato Growers description of the Red Rose Variety: Red Rose #5818 (30 seeds) This cross between Brandywine and Rutgers produces good yields of 6 to 10 oz. delicious dark pink fruit. Disease and crack-resistance are inherited from Rutgers, and the tomato's taste and texture is more like that of Brandywine. Indeterminate. 85 days.

Here is Burpee's description of Jersey Boy:

Fantastic hybrid of Brandywine and Rutgers.

Burpee Exclusive

We call it “Supertomato.” Superfragrant. Supertasty. Superproductive. Breakthrough hybrid is the delicious offspring of two legendary tomatoes. ‘Jersey Boy’s 8 oz. fruits brilliantly joins together ‘Brandywine’s sublime sweet-sour tang with ‘Rutgers’ classic rich color, shapeliness, yield and performance. Indeterminate.

I will follow the progress of both plants and provide updates at regular intervals. If any of you are planting these varieties are want to weigh in on any aspect of these tomato varieties - please contribute on this thread !!

Comments (29)