SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeyjoey1

Andersen Window Bid Itemized For All To See - Thoughts?

joeyjoey1
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am going to post the type of information I wish I could find ANYWHERE on the internet. It seems so odd to me that there should be a wealth of information available to consumers from consumers to ensure we aren't getting taken by an unscrupulous company or contractor, yet nowhere can I find actual pricing of windows.

I have quoted Andersen 400-Series Woodwright windows for our home. Full replacements, not inserts. Our home has wood siding, drywall interiors. Picture framed interior casing, with brickmould outside. SmartSun 366 glass. Sandtone exterior/white interior painted. Standard screens. 4 9/16" jambs. NO paint is included. For any exterior work, most windows are 2 stories off the ground and would require access from ladder or roof.

Our bid is not itemized. However, I know the total materials cost and it is more than double what I would pay for the exact windows at Home Depot, closer to 250% of the Home Depot price. The total price then still means that for labor alone, including trim, the cost is more than $500/window, added to the above perhaps highly-priced materials.

We would LOVE comments about this quote. I'm sitting here wondering if Marvin Ultimates could be had for less with a quality install.

Sizes are Rough Opening, since those are even inches:

42"x64" Double-Hung - $1,770 ea installed x5

30"x76" Double-Hung - $1,750 ea installed x2

42"x66" Double-Hung - $1,800 ea installed x2

34"x66" Double-Hung - $1,700 installed

30"x64" Double-Hung - $1600 ea installed x2

26"x48" Double-Hung - $1,520 installed

34"x48" Double-Hung (3x2 finelite grilles both sash) - $1700 installed

42"x66" Picture - $1,950 installed x2

34"x66" Picture - $1,900 installed

34"x46" Picture - $1,650 installed

42"x46" Picture - $1,700 installed x2

76"x76" Two Side-by-Side Mulled Double-Hung - $3,050 installed

66"x62" Two Side-by-Side Mulled Double-Hung w/ 3x2 all sash finelite grilles - $3,300

76"x62" Two Side-by-Side Mulled Double-Hung - $2,800 installed

68"x48" Two Side-by-Side Mulled Double-Hung w/ 3x2 all sash finelite grilles - $2,630

This includes the snap-on pre-assembled Andersen brickmould. My Home Depot quote includes the same and amounts to $18k total, so I'd have to find someone to install, but for $29k that seems likely, not that I know anything.

Taxes etc. are not added above.

This bid is actually the best value of the 3 bids we've received from this window installer. The other two both had material cost priced to us at ~$5k less (I know this) but were apparently padded to give us very nearly the same price in the end.

Is this type of material mark-up typical of independent window installers/companies?

I hope this information helps anyone going through the same nightmare I've been going through. That said, bear in mind I have no clue if these are reasonable prices.

I would describe our location as mid-sized metro, but large enough for the typical 3 major sports teams.

Even if we account for $75/trim job for both interior and exterior at $150/per that's $350+ just to install each window?

Comments (15)