SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schwartzy18510

Ideal height of first branches on dwarf fruit trees?

schwartzy18510
8 years ago

What is the ideal height of the first branches or the first scaffold on dwarf fruit trees in a backyard orchard setting? I have 15 trees planted in a three row configuration, with 12' between trees. I am planning on mowing around each tree. I plan to train most of the trees with a central leader. The few exceptions will be pruned to an open center.

Ideally, I want the first branches to be high enough to avoid an unkempt look or to make yard maintenance difficult, but I don't want to compromise the future yield of the trees by starting the first scaffold too high. I've read somewhere between 30-36" is a good range to target, but I've also read that for dwarf trees others recommend 18-24". Any input? My apples are on either M9 or M26, pears are on OHxF 333 or OHxF 513, peaches are on Peach Redleaf, and cherry is on Gisela 5.

Of the bare-root trees I received from Stark Bros., the ones that had branched out have branches starting about 15" from the ground, which I believe to be too short. Before I do any initial pruning, I'd like some input from others on the topic.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!