SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
k8lizzy

New to houseplants- how to not kill ZZ Plant and Dracaena Marginata?

k8lizzy
8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm a total beginner at houseplants and just purchased a couple new ones. I wondered if anyone could shed some light on best practices for caring for them as I'm kind of terrified I'm gonna kill them!

One is a ZZ plant- it was pretty tight in the plastic pot, so the nursery suggested I pot it into something a bit bigger. I am not sure what kind of soil it was originally potted in, but after looking through forums I bought C&S soil to repot it in. Two questions:

• when i repotted it, i was afraid to break or damage the roots- so i basically removed it from the plastic pot it was in and plopped the whole thing into a well in the C&S soil and then put some more C&S around it...is this ok? Or should I have removed all of the old soil from the roots?
  • In addition to the C&S soil, should I have placed some pebbles or perlite or something in the bottom of the pot to help with drainage? The pot has a drainage hole but it's really small

The other plant I bought a small Dracaena Marginata. It was already in a good size ceramic pot, so I didn't need to repot that one. Just wondering about how often I should water it and if I should let it dry out between waterings? It's in a north facing window but the window is absolutely giant as I live in a 25' ceiling loft.

Thanks SO much!

Comments (5)