SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinabrantly

Need help identifying this pest & what else may be eating my plum tree

tinabrantly
8 years ago

I live in Charlotte, NC and have a plum tree that we planted in our yard last year. We were told this type was very disease resistant, blah, blah, blah. Well it isn't. Shortly after planting it, it became diseased. We had it treated by Scott's. This year we were hoping to not have to treat it because you can't eat the fruit if you have it treated with the chemicals that Scott's uses. At any rate, I went outside to check to see if we had any fruit growing on it and I only found four or five tiny plums and a ton of holy leaves. The only leaf that I saw any culprit on was the one pictured above. Before I picked the leaf off the bugs were all clustered together in a pile and it wasn't until I set it down to get my husband that they all decided to make a break for it.

Anyone have any idea what they are? What do I do to get rid of them? Is there anything else eating the tree that was hiding when I happened to be looking or could this little cluster of bugs be doing all of that damage? Please help!! Totally new to the fruit bearing tree game. A man from Sctt's said he thought they were chinch bugs, but everything I read said that they want my Bermuda grass and not the tree.

Thanks in advance.

Tina

Tinabrantly@carolina.rr.com

Comments (4)