SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sow_what

Growing Enchantingly Beautiful Roses in HOT Southern California

For many years I grew roses that did nothing for me. They were perfect colors for a garden I created, but had ugly growth forms, boring blooms, didn't flower much, or all the above. After 10 years I shovel pruned them to adoptive homes, and have been trying out new roses since. Here are some that have done well in my hot, dry, inland southern California climate:

Carding Mill. Many people report that Carding Mill does well in the heat, and I find that to be true. The blooms are heartbreakingly beautiful, large, loose cups, and it blooms in flushes throughout the year. Beware the color; it can be a gorgeous glowing apricot, or a medium/light pink, or both at the same time. Pleasant but light scent.

Claire Austin. This was our best bloomer at Humpty Dumpty House last year. We have it wrapped around a simple 4x4 pillar, and it bloomed within months after planting it from a bare root until autumn. Blooms got smaller and diminished more and more through early December when it went into hibernation. Claire revved up with full size blooms again in February, and has been cranking them out since. Elegant shallow cups that seem to glow from within. Lovely fragrance to my nose.

Alnwick. My favorite rose at Humpty Dumpty House for 2014. A shape shifter, with its enchanting blooms morphing from deep, gorgeous, tight cups to frilly ballerina tutus. Blooms in flushes, with a few weeks between. Delicious raspberry fragrance.

Souvenir de la Malmaison. I planted three of these: a bare root climber, a climbing band, and a bare root shrub. The bare root climber grew like a weed but never bloomed, the band just sat there and did nothing, and the shrub grew well and bloomed a few times. This year, different story. All three were the first roses to be blooming, and they've been going strong since. SdlM starts out with an enchanting, perfectly quartered rosette that transforms into a frilly ball of petals. The scent -- like beer!

Please let me know which roses have done well for you in our hot, dry climate. We have lots of photos of roses on Humpty Dumpty House Facebook. Buds, blooms, spent blooms, whole shrub, etc. Also detailed evaluations in our "Rose Report Card" posts. If you visit please give us a page "like". This simple act can help us get our gardens back open to the public after my lengthy hospitalization due to an injury. Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/HumptyDumptyHouse

. . .

Comments (8)