SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
helsharmar

Hill erosion: Plants, wall, or both, and which plants?

helsharmar
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Two years ago we had a large pond installed installed in our sloped yard. The landscape company created an approx. 6' high hill on one side (they miscalculated in design, but too late to do anything about that now). We were concerned about erosion, and they claimed that the mulch and a couple boulders they put on the hill would prevent that, but it hasn't, and, of course, the 1-yr warranty has expired. Not only is the hill eroding, along with plants on its edge, but buried wires are being exposed (low voltage), and a small patio on one side is being undermined.

The company that installed everything proposes a boulder outcrop ("bowling ball sized" + 2'-3' boulders) plus mulch and planting 10 flats of pachysandra, at a cost of over $1800. They will re-level the patio and add "boulder support" for "free" (I'm sure the cost is built in to the rest).

The project was expensive to begin with, and I'm not happy that they didn't address the hillside better initially. However, we have to deal with what we've got. I think a retaining wall would hold the hill better but probably would be way expensive, especially if it wasn't ugly.

Are we throwing good money after bad to accept their plan? Is pachysandra a good choice? I've had it at several homes, and I like it but it doesn't seem to grow very fast. Any better suggestions? The hill is in a fairly shaded area, on the edge of woods. DC area--zone 6b or 7--and yes, we have deer.

Comments (2)