SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tino_o

beginner on balcony gardening, south facing with tropical climate

Edwyn Madox
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner in balcony gardening. I've started with growing my own tomatoes and chili from seeds I bought from groceries (atm, they are still babies), as well as regrowing bokchoy, kang Kong and onions.

Last week, I went to Tagaytay (a much cooler place in the Philippines known for selling plants) and bought a loooot of herbs. -.- I guess this was a bad idea. I bought dill, Italian oregano, basil, spearmint, peppermint, stevia, sage, and even a tea herb suggested by the merchant which I think is tarragon but I'm not really sure.I'm very happy with my purchase but I guess that, as a novice, I should have taken my time to really learn much from taking care of plants.

From my limited experience of growing herbs, I've already suffered 4 pest infestation. First was on my basil, I forgot how it was called but it's the infestation you get when bugs lay eggs and the eggs eat away the leaves leaving swirly silver lines. I've manage to eradicate that by cutting all the infested leaves and keeping an eye on my plant for some days.

The 2nd time was small cutterpillar on my peppermint leaves. I've also manage to catch the wigly culprit, though as cute as it is, I had to deal with it to save my babies.

3rd were spider mites on my basil again! I've sprayed my basil plant with home made cayenne pepper and garlic pesticides and until now, still making sure each leaf is moisten.

Now just this morning, I found some green tiny bugs on my spearmint which really frustrated me. I've sprayed the plant with the home made pesticide and also cut off some leaves with the most cluster of aphids (as what google said they are called).

I am not checking the status of my plants until I feel they fully recover. But I am really puzzled why I got so many infestation at such a very short time. We live in the 36th floor and I can't understand how these creatures manage to creep up on my plants, or were they there before I purchased them?

I am still learning the very basics of planting like how big the pots should be, how many times I should water, using pesticides and fertilizers, etc and added this burden of facing these horrible creatures, I feel sometimes overwhelmed. Is this normal? Is there a way I could lessen pest infestations?

I really want to save all my plants as I feel they are my babies. I also can't find much tips on growing in growing plants in a tropical climate. It's summer now here and our average temp would be around 30-35 celcius with very high humidity (a.k.a. feels like you're in an oven -.-)

Please if you would be so kind enough to give me tips on how to take better care of my plants specially on pest infestation area, how to cure and prevent the situation, do feel free to share your opinions and advice's. It would really help me a lot.

Thank you so much ^_^

BTW, I am attaching a quick pic just so you can have a visual on the status of my plants. :)

Good day,

Tin

Comment (1)

Sponsored