SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gchmom

No good option - advice needed

lmgch
9 years ago

The cabinet guy has foiled me again.

To the right of the oven stack, there is one final upper and lower cabinet ending the run.

Neither cabinet goes all the way to the very end of the wall/corner where the wall turns.

Thus bothered me immensely since the cabinets have gone up, but my GC assured me that it was ok.

What bothered me even more was that the reveal was different on the top and the bottom - bottom appeared smaller/more reveal. Again GC told me that was probably done intentionally by cabinet guy so that countertop could be returned and the countertop return edge would be flush with the edge of the upper cabinet.

The countertop went in and it does return. But it doesn't line up with the upper - it actually sticks out slightly farther.

But now today I'm faced with what feels like all bad/awkward options related to the backsplash.

We're using large sheets (for lack of better description) of tile backsplash.

GC put in one sheet tight to the oven stack and then we've gone round and round on what to do next...because all the reveals on this particular cabinet set are different

Do I:

1. Tile up to the point of meeting the bottom outside edge of the upper cabinet? This would leave, IMO, a weird swath of wall that starts a bit inside the countertop edge

2. Tile up to edge of countertop? This would create a weird little piece of unfinished top of tile showing

3. Tile all the way to the edge of wall/corner. So continue past the edge of the upper and the edge of the countertop. This will yield an even large section of unfinished top of tile.

Not to mention that bc were using these large tiles, we're going to end up with a small slice of tile making things look even weirder.

What to do? All the reveals are off no matter what I opt for No good choice :(

(This is with just one tile. Think this looks awful)

(This is if we lined up the edge of the backsplash with the edge of the countertop. You'd see this weird unfinished bit of top backsplash tile. Also awful)

(This is if I run the tile all the way to the edge of the wall. Would have larger strip of unfinished tile showing at top)

Comments (15)