SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bens2bens

The mystery of Crassula ovata "Waves" ...

bens2bens
9 years ago

Hi,

this week i got a parcel from Christopher with two jade cuttings, "Rubra" and "Waves". So two more cultivars to add to my collection. Thanks again, Christopher! I hope you will get my shipping very soon, too.

As Christopher already showed in some other threads, Crassula ovata "Waves" looks somewhat similar to Crassula arborescens "Blue Waves" but without having the glaucous ´/blue color. When searching the internet for jade cultivars i found two more forms that look like Christophers "Wave".

One comes from France and is called cv "Didier" (named after the guy who found it). It gets a special ball shaped inflorescense with flowers that often have 6 petals and also have the same kind of curled leaves. According to a frensh succulent forum it should be a reversion of "Gollum".

The other comes from Japan and is called 花月 花香楽 which means something like Kagetsu "Music of Flowers" ... it also have the ball shaped inflorescense and curled leaves.

In conclusion I think that all three, "Waves", "Didier" and "Music of Flowers" are the same cultivar. If it is true and "Didier" is just a reversion of "Gollum", this could have happened several times in different places resulting in the same kind of plant with curled leaves and a ball shape inflorescense. BTW also Gollum have a ball shaped inflorescnese and flowers that often have six petals.

Luckily this week i also got a shipping from France with a cutting of "Didier" and the side-by-side view supports the theory that "Waves" (left) and "Didier" (right) are the same.

So again there are several names for one jade cv.

Which name should be used in future?

I would propose to call this cv "Green Waves" ... like this it gets clear from the name that it is distinct from "Blue Waves".

What do you think? Any other proposels or should we call it just "Waves" or "Didier"?

All the best,

Ben

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH