SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redtartan

Looking for tried and true bacon recipes

redtartan
9 years ago

We raise our own meat and recently butchered up our two pigs. We did better than expected and got over 40 lbs of belly from two 5 1/2 month old pigs. One was a American Yorkshire and the other was some cross bred one. Yorkshire was at least 80 lbs bigger being fed the exact same diet, only 5 lbs more at the start and the least domininant. That pig went from 35 lbs at 1 1/2 months old to up to just under 300 lbs 4 months later. I swear it was all the boiled duck eggs I gave them. That pig was definitely a good breed for bacon. Anyway so I did up a bunch with recipes I could find and then I have more pork belly that I froze. I'm looking for input on some recipes that are tried and true for you.

So far I did a maple bacon, maple thyme bacon and a pepper bacon. We've so far tried the first two smoked with a combo of apple and hickory wood. It was good, but fairly sweet.
I think I'd like a recipe that is something a little more savory than sweet. I'm not a huge fan of pepper, that one was for my husband, but I don't mind some pepper. I'm also out of maple syrup because we tapped the tree late and only did the one tree that's near the house. Only ended up with 2 cups of syrup. I have lots of brown sugar though.

I'm also interested in trying some other wood chip flavours we still have more that are ready to smoke along with some hocks, ham, coppa and a loin for peameal bacon. So I'd love to hear what types you love for smoked meat.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!