SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
executech79

Pex (Uponor) efficiency/flow and manifold Qs...going from 3/4" to 1"?

executech79
9 years ago

I am planning a "temporarily permanent" re-do of my under-slab copper plumbing to pex. specifically Uponor. Some background...

I just had another slab leak and I'm tired of it. I plan on doing a major remodel of the house in the near future and part of that plan was to homerun pex. Now that this slab leak happened, I want a quick re-do for now so I don't have to worry about the next shoe dropping. My solution is to use a hybrid system: Uponor Logic for cold and homerun for hot.

(I'm sure some of you are thinking: Why doesn't he just homerun the cold now? Well, I just don't want a mile of pex snaking every-which-way up in the attic until I organize things up there. And I don't have to worry about the need to purge residual cold water. I want to homerun the hot to minimize the wait time of purging cold water in the far bathroom. If I use a 3/4" trunk for hot, it's over twice the volume of the 1/2" homerun that I have to bleed out. So I only have to wait, instead of waiting and waiting.)

My house is @ 2350 square feet and single story. The length (front to back) of the house is @ 80 feet. Water service is 1" copper from the street and it reduces to 3/4" copper through the studs in the garage for about 21 +/- feet to the inside wall in the garage where it splits for cold and hot and submarines through the footing. (Tankless heater was installed up in the garage attic so the feed line first goes up to the tankless then back down through the footing.) Both the hot and cold trunks are 3/4" copper.

Static water pressure at the front hose bid right by the connection point to the water service line is 56 +/- psi. We're on a gravity feed.

My temporarily permanent solution is to run cold using the Uponor Logic system and to homerun the hot: a hybrid.

Cold trunk will be 3/4" pex that runs the length of the house and Uponor EP Flow-Through manifolds with 1/2" ports. There probably will be 4 manifolds in this spine.

For hot, I plan on using a 3/4" manifold with 1/2" ports (not valved, for now) to homerun each fixture.

My questions...finally.

1. For the HOT, allowing for extra runs/fixtures, I would want about 16 ports to homerun. Assuming that there is a manifold with 16 ports (which there isn't from Uponor), what would give the best flow to fixtures after the tankless:

- one 3/4" manifold with 16 ports;

- two 3/4" 8-port manifolds in an inline configuration with the second manifold capped;

- two 3/4" 8-port manifolds teeing off the 3/4" line from the tankless;

- two 3/4" 8-port manifolds teeing off the 3/4" line from the tankless, then connect the two manifolds using elbows/fittings and pex to form a loop?

I don't know much about pressure equalization and fluid dynamics and such that could/would have an effect with any of the above configurations.

2. Are manifolds designed to be unidirectional? In other words, is a 1" flow-through manifold with a 1" inlet and a 3/4" outlet and twelve 1/2" ports designed internally in such a way that, if I use the 3/4" outlet as an inlet, there are structures/baffles or whatever in the manifold that would create turbulence because water is flowing against the grain and prevent efficient distribution within the manifold to the ports? Or is the manifold just an empty space of air and completely reversible?

2 a. If you can't run the above manifold in reverse, how would I affect the efficiency and dynamics of distribution and flow if I transition the 3/4" out of the tankless to 1"?

3. For the cold line using Uponor Logic, if I transition the 3/4" copper to 1" pex instead of 3/4" as the spine, any bad effects?

4. Is a 1/2" line really enough for bathtubs and hose bibs?

Any help, suggestions, recommendations, and critiques would be appreciated.

Thanx

Comments (3)