SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leslie2004

Water hammer after turning main back on (returning from vacation)

leslie2004
9 years ago

We recently turned the main valve back on after being away for a few weeks. I'd love to get directions on how exactly to turn the water main off and back on for future reference (that is, as far as what to do with the faucets and in what order - leave them open, open them all before turning main back on, etc.)

But more importantly right now -- the faucet in the kitchen has just started causing a terrible water hammer when you turn it on full force. No other faucet or toilet has any issues and the kitchen was fine for a few days with no problem..unless we just hadn't turned it on full force yet.

It only happens when all the way on, no difference whether hot or cold water.

I've read some varying advice on how to handle it - some say shutting off the main again and draining all the lines, some just turning all the faucets in the house on and letting them run for 15 minutes or so.

Can anyone here give me a recommendation on correcting this? And also if someone could give step-by-step on how to turn off the main and turn it back on so this doesn't happen again in the future that would be wonderful.

Leslie

Comments (14)