SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catsarerathersilly

I'm thinking of buying some predator bugs for my garden...

Hello everyone!

So last year we were hit HARD by thrips after the daylilies bloomed, and periodically also by aphids. The aphids aren't really what I'm worried about, since I can actually squish them when I see them (though they did come in droves a couple times, so I would like to control them). My biggest concern are the thrips. I read about pirate bugs and how they help a lot in controlling thrips, and I did see a couple when I searched for them (last year), but we had literally thousands if not millions of thrips on the daylilies and roses (not exaggerating!). We've had daylilies for a few years now, so I'd think the predator insects would've already found their prey and reduced the population.

I would like to prevent that problem this year, so I've been debating on buying pirate bugs and any other predator bug that may help, which includes lady beetles, minute pirate bugs, and green lacewings. One of my concerns is that both minute pirate bugs and green lacewings CAN bite, though neither is likely to, and we have plenty of biting insects here to keep us scratching and slapping all summer. I also don't want to totally imbalance the natural cycle of things by overdoing the predator insect population. At the same time, we live across the road from a large crop field so insects are sprayed all the time (which I think is what might have made the problem in the first place).

Does anyone have any experience with purchasing these insects? Do you think it's a bad idea? Do you know a good place for me to buy them (especially that's reasonably priced)?

Comments (12)