SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jorr2121

Pecan mill as organic fertilizer?

Ann Orr
9 years ago

Hello,

The Organic Lawn Care FAQ says “Any ground seed or bean is good as an organic fertilizer including used coffee grounds.” Just want to be sure that includes pecan mill as I haven’t seen it specifically mentioned and I’m aware it has a high fat content. Will that fat create any type of problem(s)? Would I need to supplement it with other organics like cornmeal, alfalfa, etc.? Any other possible problems? Any thoughts on how well it will work to feed the soil microorganisms relative to other organic fertilizers (e.g. cornmeal, cottonseed mill)?

I’m in NC and have an opportunity to buy pecan mill at a really great price. It’s being offered as feed for hogs.

I’m making a list of questions to ask the seller and would appreciate any suggestions. Some I’ve thought of: what’s the origin (e.g. NC), why were the pecans ground up rather than sold as nuts for people; how finely are the pecans ground; how old (rancid) are the pecans; how much shell, dirt, or other foreign material is included; how clean is the pecan mill (was it sweep up from a dirty floor or ground surface); and what about insecticides, herbicides, or other toxins?

If this turns out to be good, useable pecan mill, then I could afford to put it down frequently. Would I just put down more as it disappears? I have lots of squirrels and wild birds so would need to figure out how to spread it to discourage them from eating it - maybe lighter spread more frequently?

Will appreciate all help.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert