SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom_socal

6 petals?

tom_socal
9 years ago

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on these forums for a little while and gleaning as much info as I could from the experts on here. I finally thought I mustered up enough knowledge on Plumeria to create an account and join some of the discussions.

A little about me. I got bit by the plumie bug a year and a half ago (complete newbie status compared to the decades of experience several of you have!). Typical story: I got a cutting from a friend, the cutting grew a little, you look for a few more and all of a sudden you have a small stick garden! I live in SoCal in Fountain Valley. I saw tdogdad was in north Costa Mesa so just a few exits north on the 405 so I guess my zone is similar to his.

So now for my question: most of the pictures that I have seen on the web, the flowers seems to have 5 petals. On one of my cuttings last year, it finally bloomed and only had a couple of flowers. One of them had 6 petals. Is that normal? Is it possible/probable that the hybrid/mutation is "permament" in the plant and that I might see more 6-petal flowers this season? Or was that just a one-off flower last season?

I don't know the cultivar - got the cutting from a friend who only names them by the colors (white, yellow white, pink etc.).

Thanks for all the expert info and advice that you all have been posting on here over the years!

Tom

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living