SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thedarlingsbecca

Is there a trend to paint interior stained wood trim white?

Marianne Scoggin
9 years ago
My house has a lot of interior, mid-brown, stained, oak trim. it is on baseboards, layered wood (term?) where walls meet ceilings, cabinets and all doors. Looking at real estate photos, the trim in many homes has been painted white, either in all rooms or in most. I think of painted wood as either for older houses or cheaper types of wood. Also, I live in the Chicago Metro Area. White trim looks out of place to me in this (much of the year) colder climate. I'm not sure if that's because I am accustomed to the darker trim, or ? What are your thoughts on this?

Comments (52)

• Amanda
    9 years ago
    I'm not a huge fan of all of the painted wood.
  • PRO
    Sales
    9 years ago
    I think it's a personal preference and depends on the personality of the house, but I don't like painted wood.
  • Related Discussions

Interior Trim - Paint , Stain or Combination

Q

Comments (8)
    You can try houzz.com for tons of pictures. I don't think painted vs. stained trim is a trend thing, usually. I am Southern, and I love old, classic homes with heavy painted trim because, well, that is what I am used to seeing in the south. And I love it....looks gorgeous with tall ceilings. In other parts of the country, craftsman and/or bungalow styles are more the norm, with lovely stained trim. I certainly appreciate that look, but I wouldn't want it for me. I have a dear friend who built a gorgeous farmhouse on 30+ acres. It has high ceilings and painted trim, but they used gorgeous stained wood doors throughout the interior. They were reclaimed from her Dh's childhood home. It looks stunning. You can definitely have stained doors with painted trim.
    ...See More

Stained wood trim and interior doors-should I paint white?

Q

Comments (12)
    I've also painted old stained trim with no regrets. I did not strip it all (tried at first, but it was very aged and too difficult even with chemical strippers and heat guns!)- I simply sanded and used high quality Ben Moore primer and paint with excellent results. I personally much prefer white-painted trim to stained, UNLESS the house is of unusually high build quality. I come from a family of architects so am probably a bit overly-sensitive to proportion and design, so YMMV... but I feel like stained trim really calls attention to each element: doors, windows, baseboards, crown moldings are all brought into high contrast with stain and their placement and proportions become important design elements in a room. If they were well and thoughfully designed originally, that can be a beautiful thing. If not -I'd paint them. Our last house was a 1926 Foursquare. it was definitely much better built than most homes today, however, it was probably a Sears kit house originally, basically a builder-home from that era. i.e. not architect-designed like the previous Victorian I'd lived in. It had stained fir trim (with nice details) throughout, and DH and our friends thought I was crazy to paint it. Guess what? The house looked SOOO much better after I did. It actually became a much classier-looking house. The dark wood around doors and windows -which had been placed pragmatically rather than for aesthetics- made the house seem a bit akward. The white paint allowed the really GREAT elements in the house, like it's gorgeous birch floors, ample sunlight and great "flow", to really shine. Just my 2 cents!
    ...See More

Stained wood trim mixed with some white wood trim: what should we do?

Q

Comments (20)
    in the main room you have partial white windows. I'd paint them all white so that it matches. even the door casing. you can leave the wood doors. as for the baseboards, up to you. your wood ones don't look too bad. It's just a whole lot of wood, especially if you're bringing in arts/crafts type of oak furniture. the floor is oak but the baseboards and trim look like something else. I'd prob do that living room/kitchen trim/baseboards in Alabaster. wait for the other rooms until you get everything in and see how it looks you have to admit, it looks much fresher.
    ...See More

Interior door and trim. Paint or stain. Match windows or not?

Q

Comments (4)
    That terra color probably makes sense on the exterior but doesn't seem to be a color you have on the interior. I would lean towards painting the door jambs white to match the casings and stain the doors themselves to match the floors.
    ...See More
  • Skip Gilliam
    9 years ago
    I would think it is just more common now for trim to be painted mainly due to the cost of wood and materials. Much cheaper to paint pine instead of stain oak. Both look amazing if done correctly.
  • Marianne Scoggin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for your comments and thoughts about this. I, too, thought it might be better to have white if I had poor quality wood or house was older (unless Arts & Crafts or other fitting style). It did seem like a trend, like white cabinets in kitchens. I see, too that is a matter of preference. Although I love Houzz, I dislike the underlying sales pitches to make you dissatisfied with what you have because it is dated. (Sales pitches not from Houzz, but rampant in our society as a whole.) I would love to hear what others think about this.
  • intown123
    9 years ago
    I think it's also cyclical. I did a white kitchen when I did because I was tired of all the cherry cabinets/warm busy granite that was very popular for a while. So then it changed to white cabinets/cool tones. Now seeing all these white kitchens I wonder if I should have gone wood. You can't win!
  • Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago

i like white trim because it goes with any color of paint, natural wood does not. i like wood floors and wood furniture but not wood trim.

• leelee
    9 years ago

White trim for the windows and doors is classic. It's a clean look and like nnigrt said it doesn't limit your other choices. That said, I wouldn't paint my banister rail white. It's okay to have some things be wood.

• rubyloves2shop
    9 years ago

The trend is white because the cost of material can be much lower if it is paint grade. If you have nice wood it cost a lot more and adds richness the white can not. The wood or white is nice if kept in balance but consider what you really want for a long time before painting over a nice quality wood. It is a huge job to undo painted wood.

• evilfij
    9 years ago
    No one likes the 90s light oak color anymore and people are even painting the trim in arts and crafts and Tudor style homes to brighten them up. This latter development is a travesty. Sure, people have been doing it since the 40s, but please don't paint Tudor trim (disclaimer I have two rooms which had stained trim that was painted by the previous owner and did not strip them so I am a bit of casting stones in my glass house).

Modern stained trim is exceptionally expensive compared to the cheap painted pine and MDF trim that is in vogue.
  • User
    9 years ago

We have a home built in 2007 that has all white trim. It was considered an upgrade, but the wood looking trim the builder offered at the time wasn't good quality. Personally I would have NEVER chosen white trim, but we bought the home a couple years ago and the trim was already there. Now that I have it, I LOVE it! It fits this home well. I still like and admire stained trim on good quality wood. At least with stained wood, you don't have to re-paint every few years!

• Skip Gilliam
    9 years ago
    Love them both, if I had nice oak trim like this fireplace no way would I paint it. But the other photo is a great example of how less expensive pine can look just as good and have character.
  • Marianne Scoggin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for all of your comments! My oak trim is from the '90's, is not golden, but a bit darker oak. I hadn't thought much about the type and quality of the wood as important in whether to paint the trim white or keep it stained. I don't keep up with trends very often. By the time I have made up my mind, gotten used to the look, still want it and can afford it, it is usually a fairly lasting look. Also, because of the time delay, I have fixed in my mind something that I liked a lot from at least five to ten years ago.

It seems to take me about ten years to fully express a color scheme. By that time tastes have changed and I may be a bit tired of what I have or parts of the decor are worn.The thought of switching to a new style and/or colors is overwhelming. Yet, I don't like the all neutrals look. I don't think off-white couches would look nice in my house for more than six months!
  • Marianne Scoggin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am thinking of leaving the stair rail and the stairs stained, but having the spindles painted white. In the photos above and others I've seen, the stairs have been left stained. Some have carpeting going up the middle stairs, with wood showing on the sides of the steps treads. Some have no carpeting? Would the stairs be unsafe without carpeting?

The entryway, front hallway, kitchen floors and back hallway leading to the master bedroom and garage are ordinary (aged) parquet. I will be replacing it with oak stained like the trim that is throughout the house. I will get an estimate for replacing the gray carpeting in the family room and living room that are connected by double oak pocket doors with "window pane" glass that leads to the living room. I will also get an oak flooring estimate for the five rooms and three hallways on the first floor. Any thoughts or comments on this? Thanks much! Becca
  • User
    9 years ago
    For me, the preference is white trim. I like the contrast between dark floor or wall and white mouldings. Also the clean look.
  • jhmarie
    9 years ago

@ Becca - I also painted my spindles - I don't have a whole staircase full, some at the bottom and some at the top. Mine used to be carpeted, but I refinished them. I have stair tread rugs on them to help keep me and the dogs from slipping. (pic. #1) These are held down by carpet tape and do not move. Some also put a runner down. As I mentioned before, I have a wood /white mix in my home, and for me it is a nice compromise. The white is bright and clean, and the wood is warm.

I also have been replacing other flooring with traditional hardwood. The main level was finished a few years ago and my flooring guy is doing part of the upstairs as I type. I am so happy to be getting it done - but the house is in total disorder:) Your plan sounds like it will add to the loveliness and value of your home.

For me, I have chosen natural or medium tone traditional wood floors. These have been in homes since at least the end of the 1800s to present, so they are more timeless. However, there are also many interesting new styles like the hand scraped look. I am unsure of how difficult those are to refinish. Traditional hardwood can be refinished many times - so it is a forever floor.

• Marianne Scoggin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks to all, and most recently to jh for her response and photo. I came across a photo where the trim is not white, but a neutral. For my colder climate home, I like it better than white. I might choose a different neutral, but it opens many new options.
  • nancycronk
    8 years ago

We are in the process of painting all of our baseboards, window trim, and jams white. Our house was built in the early nineties and everything was honey oak. We are staining our doors, floors and handrails dark. After doing a lot of on-line research, it seems to be what most people are doing these days. An interesting newer trend is the gray-stained wood. We'll see if that catches on.

• Gregory Fritz
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The reason there is a "trend" to have white wood is the fact that most of this is not wood at all. They are using factory made fiberboard which is significantly cheaper. The contractors also save time and money and labor as they don't need highly skilled labor to put up painted trim. If you make a mistake you can use wood filler and paint. Staining and varnishing is more expensive than paint. The bottom line: painted wood is CHEAP, any builder will charge you significantly more for stained maple or oak than they would for painted. New homes are where people look to see what is "trendy" or in style. Remodels are the same thing... when adding new woodwork I save big money doing painted wood over matching maple, oak, or birch trim in homes.

• Marianne Scoggin
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you for your comments and thoughts. I decided to keep all of the oak trim the medium oak stain. I might have the stair spindles replaced or painted at some point. I would consider using a tan or off-white other than stark white, though. I had the worn gray carpet removed from the living room, dining room, family room and master bedroom. The parquet (not good quality) was removed from the entryway, powder room, kitchen and back hallway. Wooden floors of medium oak were installed. It has turned out very well. WARNING: The installation was a nightmare, even though I paid extra for factory stained, long lasting wood. The pre-work instruction dips to me were totally insufficient. I should have basically moved myself, furniture, clothing and everything I could OUT OF THE HOUSE. Dust from sanding, gouges from plying up wood, dirt all over! Even the basement is a giant mess - nails, splinters, dust and dirt all over! Vents were not shut. Even the inside of the kitchen cabinets were full of dirt and dust!
  • Suzanne Roy
    8 years ago
    I'm in Phase 3 of a whole house remodel. When we started a few years ago we decided on really wide door/window trim and baseboards that we had stained a nice, dark walnut tone. I absolutely love it. I did not quite realize at the time though how much more it would cost in the end (a lot!!). A couple years ago we had a major flood (4 feet of water) and had to redo the basement (which we weren't planning on). I did not want to spend the money on all the custom stained trim so after tons of looking - I found a company that sells pre-finished dark woods. There are not many places that do this and it's close enough to our custom trim to sort of get away with it - but really, it's no comparison to the custom/stained trim in the main house. So... My advice - if you like stained wood trim and have the money and time it takes - go for it. Just know that it takes lots of time and lots of money. If you're on a budget - it might not be the best choice. I would NEVER do it for a house I was going to sell (can't imagine you'd get your money back)....
  • Rebecca Hart
    8 years ago
    Can you post a photo of your finished product? Sounds great. I also agree with the craziness of the "dated" comments. Whatever you love is key. It's your house and if you love the look, someone else probably will too, wh.en it comes time to sell.
    I remember selling one of my first homes back in the 90's. I had painted the living room a very bright peach with a very cheerful but busy peach pattern drapery. I loved it then, but at present my tastes have changed quite a bit and I would not want it. (I was 25 years younger and had young children.). To my surprise, even though the realtor said paint it, I didn't and sold quickly to a female physician who also loved the peach color. She said that's who she chose the home. Go figure. Personal taste has so much to do with your satisfaction, so do what you want, and enjoy it.
  • Rebecca Hicks
    8 years ago

I grew up in a 1960's ranch house in northern Indiana. It had stained wood trim. That was all I knew. Everybody had stained wood trim. I moved to Houston in 1982 and everyone had white painted trim. To me its a regional and climate thing. Homes in this area are so much fresher looking and because of the heat people tend to go with lighter looking interiors. I would never----ever have stained wood trim.

• amk385
    8 years ago

It's an interesting personal preference because I, for one, loathe, I mean really loathe the look of wood stained trim. White trim is just so sharp and classy. Wood stained trim looks like my grandma's house to me. But, every man in my life...dad, brother, husband, think it's practically a sin to paint good wood. Which I don't get because good wood or not...it literally grows on trees! Who cares if it's "good" wood? Ugly is ugly so if it was 18 karat gold trim, I'd still want to paint it white. It's just so clean and crisp and does a MUCH better job of making any wall color choice stand out. In the end, I see the color...so wood stain is really only varying shades of orange and brown. So a blue wall with orange trim is what I see. My brother, on the other hand, would nearly have a heart attack if he learned it was good wood under the white paint I'd put over it. I just don't get it. It grows on trees.

• Marianne Scoggin
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I was reading the latest post and rereading the older ones. In the extreme, I think of white wood as belonging in a summer cottage or porch. I think of stained wood in a winter cabin, a library or family room with fireplace.
  • ellecp
    8 years ago

I live in MN and the trend here for new construction homes is the wide white enameled trim, not the cheap pre-made white trim. It's usually enameled on site and is more expensive than stained wood. It's a very beautiful clean look that makes the walls pop. Natural wood/stained wood trim is very dating to a home. If doing this for your personal preference and plan to stay a long time, do what you love. If you want to sell in the next few years, then you need to consider the trends. We are looking for our next home and are struggling with all the dated finishes in existing homes. We would prefer a new home over existing for this reason or we will have to do a lot of basic updates.

• PRO
    Jackson + Park Design
    8 years ago

If you don't love white trim, but want something to update the oak trim, why not paint it a color? Depending on the other colors in your house, you could use anything from charcoal grey, to taupe to colors. If you are stumped with color, I like to look at Farrow and Ball paint colors. They have a narrowed down color palette that has some really great colors in it.

• Suzanne Roy
    8 years ago

I think it really depends on the style of a house. I love dark stained wood baseboards and trim - but on the right house. Think mountain home in Breckinridge,
    Aspen or Park City - with lots of stone and iron. In a regular, every-day house in the suburbs - yeah, I imagine it would look like grandma's house. So... I say think about the architecture and style of the house that you're going for - and let that dictate what you do.

• Marianne Scoggin
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @Noellepauli, thanks for telling us about the use of wider wood trim that is painted with white enamel in MN. I can check interiors under MINNESOTA OR Minneapolis and see if there are some photos. Dawson & Park Interiors (above, hope I have name right) - love your suggestion to check Farrow & Ball for paint colors-sample cards or brochures for interior trim. When I look at white trim interiors, many have narrower, less layered, moulding than I have, esp. with more "modern" decor. The rooms look bare, and lightweight even, because I am used to this heavier, more layered look. When I do sell my home, I hope to find a house hunter who likes this look - like the Houzzer above who had a buyer who just loved her peach walls!
  • ellecp
    8 years ago

Another option is an off white or cream color. It's a softer/warmer look than white. One of my friends is building a home and debating between a white/off white or a light grey trim. If you are planning to stay in your home long term, then definitely do what you like and not worry about trends.

• Andrew
    8 years ago

I can't stand the current trend pushed by HGTV to paint everything white. It makes my blood boil. Paint CAN make some details look fresh... the first few times it is done. However, it doesn't hold up (ESPECIALLY if done in white) and will need to be redone over and over to look its best. Once there are many of layers of paint on something, it looks old, beat, and terrible. You then have to replace it entirely, or start with the incredibly time consuming process of stripping the paint off.

In my opinion, trim/molding is an extension of the floor. If you have hardwood floors, the trim should be wood stained to match. If you have stone or marble floors, there should be stone or marble trim. Carpet is where I consider an exception. While I have seen carpet used as trim, it's more of a cheap commercial look (it's not horrible, but not ideal). If there's a light neutral carpet and light neutral walls, stained wood trim can give a nice strip of neutral contrast- however, some carpet/wall color combinations might call for a painted color. That's up to you, I don't think there's always a right answer there. Just remember, stained wood literally matches every color- except certain certain browns that may clash with the stain color.

The thing I don't understand is why anyone would ever want to ruin a natural material with paint. Stained wood, stone, marble, granite, and similar materials are beautiful, expensive, and prestigious. If you're building something new and can't afford these quality materials, that's one thing. If you just bought an old house full of beautiful original woodwork and want to paint it all white because "it's dated and too dark", you are in the wrong. Imagine buying an expensive emerald ring, only to then think "emeralds are dated", and then coat it in white enamel. Or if you bought an original antique portrait of someone famous. Would you then say "that's dated, it needs hipster glasses painted on it"? No. You would literally be destroying something expensive, beautiful, and one of a kind with something cheap.

End the the crusade against stained wood! If you think it makes the room too dark, get better lighting instead!

• Bill Conners
    8 years ago

My wife and I have wondered why the rush to all white and we noticed in this old house magazine last year all the white kitchens. 2 years ago we redid our kitchen and removed the old honey oak cabinets and re-purposed to my workshop and made an island from the base cabinets. We then chose a nice mahogany color cabinet with volga blue granite and did our floor in a combo of black/rust/tan staggered tile. And the original stained crown and trim look good with it.

We are finishing a foyer remodel with a nice light hickory laminate floor and tile I laid and going with a lighter paint to replace the terra cotta paint. (too many reds/browns) and I just discovered how cheap the oak baseboard and door trim is at home depot so taking the worn out pine and installing the new oak freshly stained. We love seeing the grain in wood. Even though our kitchen is somewhat dark. We get a lot of light in there from patio door and at night we have a lot of lighting including under cabinet led's. And with the off white wall paint the trim all pops nicely. I'm not bashing white I like some of the designs but it's just not for us.

• PRO
    Gregg's LLC
    8 years ago

Painted wood, enamel or otherwise is NOT more expensive than stained wood. If you are paying more you are being seriously ripped off. Good wood, walnut,cherry, maple etc.... Is easily 3 times the cost.

• PRO
    The Long Gallery
    8 years ago

It goes in cycles. Many older houses built in the early 20th century - even with beautiful oak woodwork - were painted out white in the 40's and 50's. Then in the 70's and 80's, young couples purchased these old houses and bought heat guns (did they even sell heat guns before 1975?) so we could strip the paint off the woodwork. Natural woodwork was what everybody wanted until the pendulum swung in the other direction - now all the design sites, TV shows and model homes have mostly white painted woodwork. Even more so - it seems the vast majority of ROOMS are white, too. Last time I visited houzz.co.uk, I swear 95% of the rooms in the photo stream were WHITE! I'm sick of white.

I built my own house in 1992, and finished/stained all the woodwork myself. I've been considering how to update our look, but I'm not breaking out any paint for the woodwork. I figure in another 5-8 years, it will be back in style.

• PRO
    Nicki Savage -Interior Designer
    8 years ago
    White trim is classic and timeless and has been used in grand homes for centuries. White baseboards and crown DO frame a wall nicely as it makes paint pop but you don't have to make everything white. Incorporate stained hardwoods in flooring, furniture and other pieces throughout the home to add warmth. The contrast and combo of using both paint and stained wood adds depth and visual interest.
  • Melissa Straight-Perez
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

i wanted a two toned paint look in my front room but refused to paint real wood white. So I added oak chair rail. I think it complimented all of the other wood nicely. It might look a little out dated for some but I just can't paint wood. Here's a pic

• kim R
    7 years ago

I can't keep up with all of the trends! LOL We are slowly painting ours as we redo rooms. Simply because we are tired of the stained wood. Maybe we will get tired of the white someday also- we had the stained for almost 20 years. I think it is more what you prefer.

• Bearcubus
    7 years ago

If you have nice quality wood trim, keep it. Paint your walls a pretty shade of white and work in color with decorative elements (eg. an oriental rug from 10,000 Villages). The white woodwork's not for you. It's for the less fortunate among us.

Like me. I bought a 100+ year old home as my first house, and along with suffering an extremely inhospitable environment and some subdivision retrofits, it was never very good quality construction. Throughout the crown mouldings are MDF. The downstairs floors are wood, but a soft, narrow maple that in the US is normally reserved for the private upstairs rooms in this house vintage. Upstairs, the worn pine floors are on their last legs, sagging atop decayed joists, and bursting with splinters. Throughout, the wide woodwork baseboard trim is not secured to the underlying plaster, and on the main floor, along with the door and window framing, that woodwork is a mishmosh of age-darkened oak and cheap pine that would be very expensive, toxic, and time-consuming to strip down to make it attractive.

What to do in this case? In the affluent parts of the world, or if you have building skills, people would dust off their hands, and move or tear down. But that's not an option here: the housing stock in this part of the world is all equally poor up to the million dollar home range. I have rudimentary construction skills. After starting out adamantly against painting wood trim, I have come to terms with the poor quality of this house, and have been considering options as we progressively renovate. Painting trim white seems to exceed a new home construction fad, and rather seems to be rooted in integrity European traditions. However: In this vintage home, the upstairs wood trim is either originally or long painted white, and I hear a commentator's point above about how painting trim white is asking for a legacy of increasingly-cruddy-looking trim.

The other two options I've been considering are staining the woodwork a glossy custom black (with just a hint of a dark brown undertone), as I've seen in a Brooklyn reno project, or, if I run into a contractor who doesn't mind hazarding leukemia, stripping the woodwork and standardizing it with a watery IKEA white stain, as I've seen in a San Francisco reno project, both featured on Houzz.

• PRO
    Nicki Savage -Interior Designer
    7 years ago

White trim/molding is timeless and classic. It has been around for centuries and will never go out of style. It also also much more versatility for paint colors.

• Andrew
    7 years ago

I STRONGLY disagree that white trim/molding is more versatile when it comes to coordinating paint colors. Wood goes with anything, because its emphasis is on its grain/texture, rather than its actual color. It's able to stand alone as its own feature. The stain is more of an afterthought, assuming it's not some kind of hideous bright orange or something.

Painted white trim, on the other hand, has no depth, texture, or interest. It's nothing more than an additional color that you have to work into your room's color palette. If there is white elsewhere in your room, great; it's easy and it works. However, bright or deep wall colors tend to look clownish with white trim, unless the room is overwhelming that one color and the white is your primary highlight.

If you watch HGTV, there's a reason that they paint every wall gray, and insist on painting all cabinetry white. They need to take away all the competing colors, because white does not coordinate well with most colors (or multiple colors). It's all white, gray, neutral floors, and then a pop of a single bright color.

White is quite limiting.

• daarryl atkinson
    7 years ago

As Realestate agent the "trend" is white or similar "soft colors". There are several reasons for this of course and some have already been mentioned such as the cost of products being used in "modern" homes are often of lower quality than what was used before the turn of the century.

Of course if everything IN the house was white, the net effect would be quite mundane. Consequently the "trend" is to white wash darn near every except add-ons such as COUNTERTOPS, CABINETS, FLOORING and furniture, etc

This effect seems to "work" very well bc WHITE is very easy to coordinate with anything else "added" to a home. Finally bc of it's visual/perceptual characteristics WHITE or soft colors tend to enhance the size of any living space.

Nonetheless, it's your home and like many who appreciate the natural effect of wood by all means why change that which suits your fancy.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I live in a 1850s Victorian. I have natural wood trim that has survived 160 years. And it's....awful to decorate around. It's just orange orange orange.

If if it was a darker tone or even the same tone without the orange it would be different.

I do fantasize about painting it but people tell me that would be crazy. Plus I would still be stuck with an orange floor.

The only color that that looks good with it is navy blue. But in a way it just activates the orange even more.

So while ole wood can be seen as beautiful and worth keeping, you have to look at the Quality of the wood and the color tone. Because both make a big difference.

i do love cool grays for wall color but they just don't work even this BM Bennington Gray isn't great what would look best is deep Victorian jewel tones but I just can't live in a dark cave like that

any advice on wall paint colors or if it's possible to stain the floors or trim darker (it's pine which I've heard is very hard to stain ) would be appreciated.

below is a pic of my wood trim

• Bearcubus
    6 years ago

Truey, That does look like good quality wood. I have seen on Houzz some homes of your home's vintage that let the wood be--just let that issue go, and went and painted the walls Euro-white. With well-curated furniture (Think Argentina meets Scandinavia meets Japan.), built-ins for your books, and a few pieces of good, big-format wall art (paintings or woven art), it looks so terrific. It's *almost* a simple, cheap solution, but the catch is that it may require you to splash out on getting help with furniture and art to pull the sophisticated "deep" modern look together. I love, and I'm not alone, a combination of modern blank white & aged character, either in a new build (cheating and importing someone else's stripped architectural features), or with a little more consumer integrity, strategically updating an older home like yours.

Here's what I mean:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/harvard-street-eclectic-living-room-houston-phvw-vp~88084196

Here (below) is a patrimonial capitalist version, but you can extract ideas from it, like big art, and maybe, if you need to open up rooms, considering the elegant, light-enhancing, high double museum interior doorway approach--It's just really one more doorway on a wall, plus transoms. Or you can remove the wood trim from one of the doorways, lengthen it, and make those twin entries art-museum modern. I've seen before/after with that more structural, but fairly small-time reno, and it is an aesthetic game changer. My recommendation is to stop worrying about the orangeness of wood, and start figuring out how to bring a crisp, whitespace modern embrace to the organic, complex features you've already scored.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/jamesthomas-llc-eclectic-living-room-chicago-phvw-vp~532688

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

i was fortunate: all of the trim in my 1870 house had already been painted before we bought the house.

we still have the original front doors, but as they cant be opened and closed when the humidity soars to over 10%, and snow which blows under the front door into the foyer doesnt melt... their days could be numbered.

(and yes, we've had 3 experts try to repair them. pffft.)

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    I also live in Illinois so I understand your concern and I bucked the trend to paint everything white. I did get rid of the oak, oak and more oak look. I stained the oak staircase a darker color along with the treads and painted the wood crown and door frames white. But I installed dark mahogany solid interior doors, installed a mahogany mantel and I am not painting all the beautiful mahogany wood doors white. I dislike oak, but love beautiful wood which is why I stained the bannister to match my solid mahogany doors. I say go with what YOU like. Very few people can afford to put in decent wood floors, doors and trim so if you have the real deal, enjoy it.
  • User
    6 years ago

Well apparently white trim IS a selling point. So much so that people are "digitally staging" their houses when there is wood trim.

I was was looking at sold listings in Illinois online in nice neighborhoods. This house went on the market in January for 1.2 million, dropped the price twice, and sold in June for just under 1 million after going under contract in May. So 5 months on the market.

I believe I ts considered one of the best neighborhoods on the North Shore, so it is interesting that it took so long to sell.

They included these photos in the listing. On Houzz people say you devalue your house when you paint, but clearly here the natural wood was seen as a potential liability

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

I would not purchase with the dark trim. The white trim is so inviting.

• midrashist
    6 years ago

No one has brought up the main issue I have with white painted Victorian (muliti-layered. complicated) wood trim. All the horizontal trim collects dust like you wouldn't believe. I have four sets of stair spindles (two in home, two in a rental.) They are a devil to keep clean. I hate cheap llght oak cabinets, but my banisters and other details in oak? I love them. It's all context. If I could afford to remove that white paint back to oak, I would in a minute.

• HU-708070979
    5 years ago

Our old house was a 1960s era ranch with the typical cheap wood trim which I painted white, including the kitchen cupboards. No one ever brings up how dirty white cupboards get. My husband is a great--but sloppy--cook. I was CONSTANTLY wiping down those stupid cupboards. Plus you are constantly touching up chipped paint. I said "never again" to all the work of painting and upkeep of white woodwork and cupboards. We moved into our present house 10 years ago which was built in 1992 with all of its golden oak woodwork and Amish made custom oak cabinets. I know they must be just as dirty but you'd never know it because it doesn't show :)

• BEYFLA Executive
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have a 1915 house and when we renovated (a total gut reno) 10 years ago, we put stained oak trim on the main floor and in the upstairs halls, but painted the trim white in bedrooms and bathrooms. I honestly think it's a travesty to paint lovely old gum wood, which is prevalent in many older houses in Toronto, or beautiful oak, which is used in Craftsman homes. Right now, there's a spectacular Craftsman house for sale in my area that has been renovated absurdly. They left the fabulous oak in the dining room and den, but painted the trim in the living room, which is between the two other rooms, and put in a French chateau type of fireplace. They painted the trim in the large addition at the back, which is acceptable because it is indeed new, but the front areas look like a dog's breakfast, style-wise.