SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
basilisk_gw

Floating shelf fastener help

basilisk
9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm looking for hardware ideas for fastening a floating shelf into a corner. I have a small shelf, matched to my cabinets, that I want to mount high up on the wall to hold a small receiver that drives the in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen, with the idea that minimal shelf support would be seen from underneath (this rules out common bracket shelf supports). The receiver is a 10 lbs. load.

The shelf's dimensions are: 9-1/2" x 12-3/4" x 9/16". Since it is so thin, I can't use these blind shelf supports (http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=51933&cat=3,43648,43649).

I was thinking of using small dowels or something similar for the edges that can contact the wall (any brilliant hardware suggestions for this?). The corner will be interesting - unfortunately, it's about 1" or so from the center of the 1x2 furring that supports the drywall ceiling. I was thinking of threaded rod, but I'm not sure how to use that without drilling through the bottom of the shelf (and more importantly, the ceiling support point is not within the area of the shelf). Maybe a chain and hooks would work, but I'm afraid that since the ceiling attach point would be outside the area of the shelf, it would try to pull the shelf away from the corner walls.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (4)