SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

Interesting comparison of Aeoniums in grit vs. wet soil

kwie2011
9 years ago

Just thought I'd share this because it's not what one would expect.

I had a number of Aeonium arbroeum atropupureum or zwartkopf cuttings (don't know which it is) last fall/late summer. I'd never rooted any before, so I stuck them in various pots and substrates to see what happened.

One of those pots was a little grower's pot with used soil from some vegetables. I'd stuck a little wild Western Sword Fern and some moss in it. It stayed wet all winter, and outside except when it froze. I was pretty sure the Aeonium cutting would rot.

Another pot was 1 part Oil Dry (diatamacous earth substitute for Turface), and 1 to 2 parts granite (Gran-I-Grit brand chicken scratch).

All the plants rooted. None rotted. But guess which plant has clearly grown the best. The one with the fern. Yeah, go figure. Makes me question everything I've read about Aeoniums. I shouldn't be surprised though. I bought the parent plant from a nursery where it was kept in downright soggy soil. All their Aeomiums had fallen over and been stood back up so many times that they were growing all twisted like Dr. Seuss trees, but they WERE all growing (not dying). So maybe Aeoniums (or at least A. arboreum) aren't as sensitive to wet soil or cold as the literature would suggest.

Here are some pics so you can see for yourself. Cuttings were different sizes, but all had about the same amount of stem covered in leaves. They all had just a tuft of leaves forming the rosettes. As you can see, the one in with the fern has grown so much that almost the full stem is covered in leaves. I will include one showing the dark soil it's planted in.

sorry it's upside-down. Hopefully others will post correctly.

Comments (7)