SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lawjedi

Flooring Conundrum - How to lay this out?

lawjedi
9 years ago

We've decided to use a wood look tile. Dh really likes the look of wood, but for our family of 6, large dogs & outside entry to a perpetually muddy backyard, tile is the answer.

Our tile choice - Marazzi Rustic Bay. 6x24.

The change of flooring is not limited to just the kitchen -- it runs from the front door, down the hallway, and then opens up to the kitchen (perpendicular to hallway) and then continues past the kitchen and down the hallway to the garage. (& grabs a powder room, pantry and mudroom along the way). I don't like the look of the "wood" lines being horizontal in a hallway. So the pattern will have to change in order to avoid perpendicular layout in one of the 2 hallways.

I've been trying to figure out how to solve this problem. Here are the ideas so far:

1. Diagonal (45degree) layout. It might open up the space, it won't be perpendicular to either hallway. Potential cons: larger %age waste, likely higher install cost, aesthetics of being in a slightly modern, traditional colonial house.

2. Do an abrupt stop of the linear layout down the foyer hallway. Transition. Then turn tile lines 90degrees . Continue new linear layout in kitchen and down to garage hallway. Cons: not so sure I like the look. Abrupt stop says it all for me. (although maybe it won't look so abrupt in real life?)

3. Using the bones of the house, create a tile landing of sorts once you arrive in the kitchen. The lines come down the foyer hallway and into the kitchen. Then I'd follow the lines of the banquette and basement door casing. All the linear lines would "arrive" in the kitchen and then be bordered with a 45degree line. After the landing, the tile would turn 90 degrees and then continue down the kitchen and garage hallways. Potential pros/cons - I like this look on paper and taped out. But it could be busier looking than I like in real life... and there is concern that the 45 cuts on the tile may be too sharp for walking. (normally cuts are up against the wall, under baseboard.)

4. ???

This is our "forever" house, so I'm not too concerned about resale. I do like to honor the house I'm in though, so I don't want anything to look out of place.

Thank you for your input!

Comments (3)