SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pogomomm

island induction ventilation help. Attic above.

pogomomm
9 years ago

I am doing a complete kitchen remodel. We have a large island with 36" gas cooktop, downdraft, and prep sink. I will be reconfiguring the island but I plan on keeping the cooktop and sink on the island but switching to induction, and I want to vent overhead. I don't want a hood in the middle of the room. There is an attic above. My current idea is a flush with ceiling vent system, using an appropriate strength remote blower and large ducting. I would hope to put a simple decorative vent panel above, perhaps something like a heater grate. would i also need a removable filter system? I have seen the BEST flush stainless ceiling vent panel but that is above my budget and a bit too attention seeking for my taste. I want to DIY a similar system. I have shopped whole house fans but I believe they are too powerful and may be loud.

Our current downdraft system was never functional, and we have been cooking without ventilation for years. I have played with switching the cooktop to the perimeter, but it causes other space problems and I have always enjoyed the openness of cooking at the island. There are some new flush mount 36" inductions coming out and I want a smooth, almost invisible look.

I would appreciate any advice in designing a functional system.

Comments (6)