SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Peepers!

Meant to post this last night, but on the way home from work I heard peepers! I was kind of surprised to hear them, but there they were - and I had to avoid all kinds of little frogs hopping across the road too!

Poor things are probably frozen tonight - big change in temps between last night and tonight...

Dee

Comments (38)

• Jill
    9 years ago

So I am not going crazy....I thought I heard them, too! Funny, thought they didn't come out until later, and given the cold / late Spring, am HIGHLY encouraged!!

• Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

I'm outta here and into the night to see if our peepers are peeping. I love these annual notices.

• barrett001
    9 years ago

Ours peeped a week ago--late last week! The first night the peeping was sporadic and not loud, but the next night it was loud. I called my husband to listen, but they kept stopping dead (in response to what I have no idea...) for whole minutes at a time. Heard them again Sunday night as it got dark.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    9 years ago

Congratulations all! I'm still not able to add the reports to the First Spring Peeper Reports in New England FAQ this year but I'll check in with GW Support to see when I'll be able to edit the FAQ's.

Claire

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I heard peepers last night (April 10th) and that confirmed that Spring was on the way! Last year, they peeped on April 2nd and in 2013, they peeped on March 30th. So they're over a week late this year.

• margyrose
    9 years ago

In north/central Ct and haven't yet heard the peepers. Will I?

• margyrose
    9 years ago

I sure do miss the seed exchanges. Have been with gardenweb for a very long time and loved all the regular folks and the garden neighborhood.

• skytiger2k
    9 years ago

Peepers in Fairfield County (CT) today. Took the kids out to hear them. Glad for a sign of spring at last!

• ontheteam
    9 years ago

Peppers here in SE MA Taunton. I head them tonight. A fiend remarked she heard them 2 nights ago!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

No peepers here yet, but the wood frogs started quacking this evening, so we should hear the peepers in the next two days.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Peepers this mid-afternoon when I got home, less than 24 hours after the first wood frogs. What a difference a few warm days makes!

• margyrose
    9 years ago

the very day I wrote that I hadn't heard them....they began singing away in

the wetland beyond our back woods. What a nice sound!

9 years ago

OK, I thought that if NHBabs has peepers in NH, I must have them here in Plymouth, MA. I went across the street twice this afternoon and didn't hear any peeps, but then I realized that the birds were so noisy (many, many blackbirds in a mixed flock) that I probably couldn't hear a frog. I waited until the sun started setting and most of the birds had gone and then went across the street again and this is what I heard. There's a pond and wetlands down the hill. They've probably been singing for a while but I just didn't check at the right time.

Claire

• mcsooey
    9 years ago

Peepers! Oh my, how I have missed the Peeper report! I just got back into the forum, had to re-register after all these years and as of today, I am back among my fellow NE Peeper Peeps! I noticed the first Peepers of the season on my part of Cape Cod, the elbow, last week on Tuesday the 7th of April. Yes, Boys and Girls, spring is really here!

9 years ago

Love those frogs cruising around the pond looking for a date, NHBabs!

Congratulations, Sooey! I still can't edit the FAQ but I'll be adding all these 2015 sightings when the time comes.

Claire

9 years ago

I decided to get these sightings compiled and ready for the FAQ before it gets too confusing. If I've gotten the dates, places and times wrong please let me know, and if you want to define the location a little better that would be great. I'll keep adding to this list as new reports come in. I'll also add sandysoil's sightings for 2014 and 2013.

................................................................................................................................
    2015- Sometime around April 3 on southern MA coast Zone 7A, reported by barrettoo1.
    - April 7 in Shelton, CT Zone 6, reported by diggerdee.
    - April 7 near Skaket Beach in Orleans, MA Zone 7, reported by mcsooey.
    - April 10 in Holbrook MA Zone 6, reported by sandysoil.
    - April 11 in Fairfield County, CT Zone 6, reported by skytiger2k.
    - April 12 in Taunton, SE MA Zone 5a-6, repoted by ontheteam.
    - April 12 in north/central CT Zone 6, reported by margyrose.
    - April 14 in Canterbury, NH Zone 5, reported by NHBabs.
    - April 14 in full chorus in in Plymouth (Ellisville), MA Zone 6b, reported by claireplymouth.
    - April 19 in Webster, NH Zone 5, reported by defrost49.

Wood frogs
    - April 13 in Canterbury, NH Zone 5, reported by NHBabs.
    - April 21 in Northfield, VT Zone 4, reported by squirejohn.

................................................................................................................................

Claire

edit note: I made corrections based on later comments by NHBabs, sandysoil, defrost49. squirejohn and barrettoo1.

• mcsooey
    9 years ago

Well done, Claire and thank you!

• Yoshimi Dragon
    9 years ago

definitely peepers in RI, per a friend of mine. not sure what day was #1 but they were there by yesterday.

• margyrose
    9 years ago

My husband is deaf as a post. Even if I walked him to the edge of the pond

he still wouldn't hear the peepers. How SAD.

9 years ago

Yoshimi Dragon: Can you be a little more specific about where in RI? I know it's not a huge state but it does have a lot of shoreline on the south and east and a lot of interior territory to the north and west.

Claire

• Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

NHB, I love your photos. Is it a real pond or vernal? I'd be jumping up and down like a kid if I had that in my back yard.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

mrtulin, we quite enjoy the wildlife it brings close to the house. It's a bit wetter than a typical vernal pond, but not reliably year-round. It's next to where there was a dairy barn more than 50 years ago (the rock wall in the photo was part of the barn foundation), so it was dug deeper for watering cattle, but it is part of an old river channel that continues along the left field edge, though the pond is separated from the rest of the channel by the field access driveway. Our foundation drains empty above it, so that gives it some extra inflow. Depending on how much surface and groundwater there is in any given year, sometimes it has water all season, and sometimes it gets dry enough that DH mows it to keep it from getting too brushy when he is mowing the field. The photo shows as large as it gets, and the trees outline its usual late spring/early summer size. I toss some bt dunks in it in May to keep the mosquitos from getting too terrible.

• defrost49
    9 years ago

Wow, NHBabs! I was away for the weekend so didn't hear the peepers until Sunday afternoon. Amazed to see your wood frogs. BTW the local grower's plant list came in email today. I buy most of my tomatoes and peppers from her. She's in Hillsborough. If interested I can forward the list. Email me at dfrost49 at Hotmail. Pickup is on weekends starting May 9/10 and also by appointment. I'm going to get my order in quickly to get all my choices. I usually just get one each of a dozen varieties.

9 years ago

There was an article in the Boston Globe a few days ago entitled:

If it’s noisy, it’s ‘Big Night’ in the woods.

They mentioned that frogs and salamanders go to the vernal ponds because there are no fish there to eat the eggs. I'd never thought about that.

defrost sighting added to First Peeper Reports:

- Sometime around April 3 on southern MA coast Zone 7A, reported by barrettoo1.
    - April 14 in full chorus in in Plymouth (Ellisville), MA Zone 6b, reported by claireplymouth.

Wood frogs

Claire

edit note: I made corrections based on later comments by NHBabs, sandysoil, defrost49. squirejohn and barrettoo1.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Claire, defrost doesn't live in Canterbury. She's a bit north and east of me but I don't remember which town off the top of my head.

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    9 years ago

Claire, I live in Holbrook which is just south of Boston. Thanks!

• defrost49
    9 years ago

Hi Claire, I'm across the river and thru the woods from NHBabs in Webster. I don't think we've heard wood frogs. Have a marshy area next to our house - the kind you can mow if it's a very dry summer. The peepers must be out there someplace.

9 years ago

defrost: Webster correction made. I copied the Canterbury location from previous reports in the FAQ. Maybe you were visiting there and heard them? Or maybe I made a mistake - should all the previous sightings be Webster too? I can't access the FAQ's yet but I can change them later.

Holbrook added to sandysoil's report.

Claire

• defrost49
    9 years ago

Yes, Claire. All previous sightings/hearings from me should be Webster. Houzz is good with notifications. I might not have followed up on the old posts and noticed they needed correction. Sorry.

9 years ago

defrost: I'll make the changes when I can get at them. Maybe this is a better method anyway; i.e. put the sightings in the thread before I add them to the FAQ so people can see them up front and make corrections if necessary. It's not a big deal for me - I want to get the facts straight.

Claire

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    9 years ago

No peepers yet but the wood frogs showed up today even though the pond still had some ice.

• barrett001
    9 years ago

I live on the southern MA coast, and keep forgetting to change my zone designation. It's not 6A but 7A. Sorry!

(Going off to change it right now!!)

9 years ago

I added squirejohn's wood frogs and barrettoo1's revised location, all to the earlier posts trying to keep it less confusing.

Claire

• backwoodsgarden
    9 years ago

The peepers were peeping for a while here in Taunton, the last few nights have been too cold though. I hope they have survived :(

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    8 years ago

Finally peepers last night on 4/30.

8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

backwoodsgarden: The peepers should be fine; just disgruntled because they had to sink back into the mud instead of cruising around.

Claire

- Sometime around April 3 on southern MA coast Zone 7A, reported by barrettoo1.
    - April 30 in Northfield, VT Zone 4, reported by squirejohn.

Wood frogs

• defrost49
    8 years ago

Question: if we have peepers, should we also have wood frogs? We live next to several acres of marshy meadow with a seasonal stream. My condolences to those who never hear peepers. As I drove through town the other night coming home from the library, I could hear peepers in some spots, not in others. BTW at one point on our road we can see Pat's Peak Ski Area in Henniker NH. There's still snow on the trails!