SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lola601_gw

My bluebirds aren't using the house this season

lola601
8 years ago

I have a bluebird house that I put out last spring - it was occupied by a pair of blues almost immediately. I named them Burt and Bertha. They had 3 different clutches of eggs, but only the last clutch hatched. They had 4 beautiful babies and stayed around the house all summer and fall. Over the winter, a pair of house sparrows showed up. There were battles on and off for the house, but the bluebirds seemed to always chase the sparrows away. I haven't seen the sparrows in several weeks, but I've been checking the house and so far it is empty. Nothing is nesting in it at all. I was really hoping Burt and Bertha would use it again this season. I still see them in the yard every day and sometimes they come and sit on the house and go inside here and there. But... so far, no nest. I'm so sad! Is there anything I can do to attract them back into the house? My guess is they got tired of the HOSP battle and decided to build a nest somewhere else. I know it may be a little early yet, but this time last year they had a nest with 5 eggs in it already.

Comment

Sponsored