SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vr46_gw

Noob q: should I repot now?

vr46
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I have Phalaenopsis which I bought Feb 19th and is now in full bloom with seven flowers actually it's been in full bloom for over a month. The media is super moist all the time and I've only actually watered it three times since purchasing because it takes 10-20 days or so for it to completely dry up. The difficulty is that some parts stay moist while others are dry but I wait until everything is dry to water it.

It came in a clear plastic pot as they usually are sold, and I can now see some of the roots are starting to turn black. I know from having watched a few videos on youtube that this isn't necessarily a bad thing since many people choose to repot after the bloom and there are plenty of black roots which their plants seem to have survived.

The orchid is quite large, the leaves are 10'' each in lenght and the flowers are 5'' across, I'm not sure how much longer they will stay in bloom before falling off.

What's the best option for me? Should I attempt to repot or continue as I'm doing now and maybe cut a few more holes in the plastic for better air circulation?

I have some orchid media, wood and stones and stuff that I bought, maybe I could take the plant out real quick and just replace some of the peat moss with that to help it dry out more evenly?

Comments (2)