SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer2413

Can anyone ID this tile or know of something similar?

jennifer2413
9 years ago

I emailed the designer but she didn't reply.

Love the idea of a white kitchen with a pale blue backsplash, but it's a very specific look I'm after and a lot of tile is too modern looking.

Also wondering if people think it would still look good with black counters on the perimeter (either honed granite or soapstone.)

Thanks!

Comments (103)

• rubymango
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Dana That's so awesome. I'm really happy for you!

I really wish I could see these in person before clicking the button. The return policy is not great (which I completely understand) and the sale ends Friday so I'm feeling the pressure. How true to color is the website to real life? I know we all have different computer displays etc so it's impossible to tell for certain but they look bluer on the site than in the photo of the kitchen above. Here's the link.

I was originally planning on a white ceramic subway but it feels a little ordinary.

• Dana
    3 years ago

@rubymangoI would be HAPPY to take photos inside, outside, next to white, whatever you need!

• Dana
    3 years ago

Also, here is another picture where the designer guessed they had used ice water. I loved it against the darker counters and cream cabs and it was my tipping point, albeit, the cost was prohibitive....almost. Saving $600 allowed me to not feel quite so guilty over using solid bronze hardware, LOL!

In my house, the tiles look really really pale blue/gray. Held against the dark counters, they pick up more blue. And, it depends on the room light

• rubymango
    3 years ago

Thank you!! If you could take some photos (in various lighting?) next to what ever white paint you're using then I can go to the paint store to get a swatch of your paint color and I'll have a sense of the color. We're using Waypoint Painted Linen cabinets (which are a touch warmer than true white) and really hard to see on their website (here).

Anything you can do would be so helpful!

• Dana
    3 years ago

@rubymango here are pictures showing the color variation, outside, inside, against wood, blue floral, a dog....anything to show the variations.

• Dana
    3 years ago

@rubymango as you can see, the color changes a lot. But it is definitely the palest blue, so pale. It looks the bluest next to Piper Lou, and the palest inside next to the brown place mat.

• Dana
    3 years ago

@rubymango here it is against Ben Moore Linen white. I love a creamy cab and have 25 different creams in a 12x12 sample size but they're all up in the mountain house, where this is going. Hope this helps. It's a gorgeous tile. Make sure the tile is on sale. They gave me the 50% off even though I missed the sale by one day, so if it's not included, ask!

• Dana
    3 years ago

Water works recommends presealing with Miracle 511 impregnator prior to grouting. I got a jug at home depot.

• rubymango
    3 years ago

@Dana You are truly amazing! My favorite photo is up against the dog! What a cutie pup!!

I will take a closer look at this and see if I can get a sample locally (though with COVID it's harder to just drop into tile stores).

Thank you 1000x!

• rubymango
    3 years ago

One more question for you @Dana and @jenmendel23: do they have trim that goes with this tile? Or how did you edge it? Thank you!

• jenmendel23
    3 years ago

Ours is not edged? The edge is just the edge of the tile.

it's not letting me add a picture?

• rubymango
    3 years ago

Hmmm. I don't see a photo.

• jenmendel23
    3 years ago

So weird. I post the photo but when I hit submit it disappears. Sorry!

• rubymango
    3 years ago

I'm curious because I got a sample tile and it's thicker than other tiles so I wondered what people did with it. Maybe it's more a question about handmade tiles vs this tile specifically?

• jenmendel23
    3 years ago

• Dana
    3 years ago

@rubymango it does come with bullnose pieces. I have them with the bullnose side edge and the bullnose horizontal edge. Mine is getting installed Wednesday. I've been sealing the crackle side with 511 in preparation.

• rubymango
    3 years ago

Thanks Dana. I see the bullnose edge now in the photos you took. I'm guessing you specified how much linear foot needed for the edging. I don't see that ordering option on their website though?

• rubymango
    3 years ago

Thanks Jen for the close up! I'll be honest, not having a trim piece looks better than I would have imagined! Your's look really good!

• Dana
    3 years ago

@rubymango At luxury bath for less, my order numbers for the bullnose were 02-96777-19855 for the ice water 3 x 6 short side bullnose and 02-24748-06992 for the 3 x 6 ice water glossy crackle LONG side bullnose. They were $21 each (short) and $22 each (long)

• jenmendel23
    3 years ago

I guess we did it wrong. Oops. ;-)

• rubymango
    3 years ago

Naw yours looks fine and it’s totally an option.
    I’ve just seen that the do a trim piece so my choice will either be the trim, the bullnose or leaving it as is!! Will post back.

Thanks again!

• Dana
    3 years ago

@rubymango Just curious what you decided to do? I got the waterworks ice water tile installed a couple of weeks ago. An 'old school' installer did the job and he was mumblin' and grumblin' about the handmade wonkiness on some of the pieces, but oh my heavens, is it ever beautiful. It has just that subtle hint of color I was looking for.

I hope whatever you chose to do, you love it!

• rubymango
    3 years ago

Hi Dana! Thanks for thinking of me! I got a couple of samples of ice water and it sure is beautiful! I realized that it’s a little bluer than what I was looking for but I loved the handmade wonkiness! So I found another tile that is handmade with a crackle finish but whiter.
    Thanks so much for your help. This conversation definitely guided my choice!

• jeri
    3 years ago

@rubymango - What tile did you end up choosing? Curious minds want to know... 😉

• rubymango
    3 years ago

I went with Walker Zanger Cafe Milk Crackle. It's close to the Waterworks style but about 1/5th the price. The Waterworks company also do a whiter tile but we have a LOT to tile so the budget had to be taken into account. Hasn't been installed yet so no photos to share yet! Fingers crossed I've made the right decision.

• Kath
    3 years ago

I love all of your information regarding this tile choice. Has anyone used it directly behind gas stove, does it clean up well after grease splatter, or tomato sauce? Thanks

• rubymango
    3 years ago

I'm not the original poster and haven't installed tile yet so I will defer to others, however what I will say is that I've learned that anything that has a crackle finish, like the tiles we've been discussing, need to be sealed at least twice: before grouting, then after grouting. Some even say they should be sealed periodically after that otherwise tomato sauce etc embeds in the microcracks and shows up.

• Dana
    3 years ago

And regarding that sealing. It was pretty much a cinch. I laid out all my tile in batches, on a large piece of plywood and foam brushed on the 511 impregnator seal just on the colored surface. Let it sit for 3-5 min, wiped it off and let it dry. Done. Not all installers appreciate the need to do this prior to grouting so don't leave it up to them. I handed over four boxes of sealed and dried tile and I'll brush on more seal later.

• rubymango
    3 years ago

Thank you. I'll check with our contractor today and will make sure to do this before installation.

Dana: any photos you'd be willing to share?

• Dana
    3 years ago

@rubymango sure, here's a pic of my sealing project... and then my finished kitchen walls.

I'm almost DONE. This was a gut job and I only have my knobs and drawer bins to add, going up this weekend! I'll post pics then!

And yes, I did tile the 'awkward wall'. He was almost done and that little side wall by the door way, broke up the continuity of color so I had him add tile.

• Dana
    3 years ago

And ignore above the window! I have a hole to patch and a paint color to choose!

• rubymango
    3 years ago

WOW! That tile is stunning! You've managed to create a kitchen that is modern and nostalgic at the same time. It looks totally up to date and with a nod to the past. Really nicely done!!

• Dana
    3 years ago

@rubymango, wow you nailed it. That was exactly my intention. Can't wait to post my before and afters. it was the worst builder grade golden oak. I love the tile so much!

• Kath
    3 years ago

Looks great! Thank you for sharing the prep info!

• Kath
    3 years ago

Dana, I go back and forth on black counters or a lighter quartz. What are you counters made of, and is it a matte finish? Do crumbs or finger prints show up on it? I love the look of the dark counters, it reminds me of old kitchens with soapstone. I do not want the upkeep of soapstone.

• jenmendel23
    3 years ago

I have no issues with cleanup with this tile. (On a related note, I just found a box of it in my basement and am thinking how I can somehow use it in the basement bathroom we're about to redo!)

• jenmendel23
    3 years ago

@Dana, it turned out great!!

• jenmendel23
    3 years ago

FWIW if I had it to do over again, I might go dark counters. Love the look. We have marble and it's kind of a pain with upkeep. This is the only photo I can find, although we remade the counter to have a bigger overhang and we have different stools.

• Dana
    3 years ago

@Kath me too, ME TOO. I loved the soapstone look but my savvy sister said "NO!!" (made me mad) I called a stone place and repeated what she had said, laughing, and the salesperson said "your sister was right.." Sooo...that put an end to my soapstone infatuation.

I also went back and forth between a marble look, or something like super white quartzite ..but, all the controversy caught my attention and I have enough drama in my life.

I went with a leathered and honed black pearl granite and to be honest, I can't stop staring at it and touching it, so no, fingerprints don't show.

It's gorgeous.

It has a really soft black look with a lot of interest going on but so very subtle. It's the classy black dress of the countertop world.

It plays really well with the creamy cabinets and I'm having loads of fun adding pops of color in decor. Everything goes well with this stone!

• M R
    3 years ago

Just found this thread, gorgeous tile and kitchen! I see you were able to snag it 50% off, that’s amazing! It’s out of my price range as is, but at 50% off we might be able to swing it. Any idea how often those sales run?!

• Dana
    3 years ago

@jenmendel23 Love your kitchen. I notice you have bin pulls placed high instead of the middle. We're receiving our sun valley bronze knobs and pulls today and hopefully attaching them this weekend. I'm curious what drove your decision and if you are happy with the placement.

• jenmendel23
    3 years ago

TBH I can’t remember! And yes they’re fine like that. I’ve never thought about it. I think they were that way in my old kitchen...

• Dana
    3 years ago

@M R I'm sorry I didn't see this. I ordered my tile in December and just missed the sale but they gave it to me anyway. Then...just a couple of weeks ago, I saw they had waterworks on sale again. I would call and ask them about it. It was the deciding factor for me too

• Kath
    3 years ago

I think I am sold back to the leathered and honed black pearl granite counters, so classic!

• Dana
    3 years ago

@Kath yes, I would agree. It has that soft warmth of soapstone but without the issues. I can't stop staring at it and running my hand over it. Shocked at how gorgeous it is and how well all colors go with it. The black is like a soft charcoal. Not stark at all.

• Kath
    3 years ago

Dana what sink is it you chose?

• Dana
    3 years ago

I chose the Kohler Whitehaven sink in the 32-33" width with the tall apron. It's deep and plenty big for a little wash basin on one side. I also have a roll out dryer rack that sit across the top when I want to dry dishes. I love it! While I chose the seasalt color, and it IS beautiful (looks like suspended tapioca) honestly, it doesn't show up as much as I thought it would and I would just go with white if I had to do it over again.

• Dana
    3 years ago

@rubymango @kath So I've now posted a thread with all the kitchen before and after photos n kitchen, before and after, and remodeling but I'm not seeing my thread. It's showing up in my activity.

Mountain House Kitchen Makeover. Can any of yall see it???

• rubymango
    3 years ago

I put that title into the Houzz search and it came up with this discussion ! So I'm guessing no unless I'm doing something wrong

• Dana
    3 years ago

It's up!! Yay, I mentioned the word that has us all quarantined and it must have flagged it for moderation so I took it out and voila!