SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brightstar123

Heritage climber for hot sunny wall

brightstar123
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for an old/heritage climber for the front of our house, pictured below. The carport is no longer there and the front garden has been completely redone with roses and other cottage-style perennials, but it gives you an idea.

There is a large garden bed in front of the house, then perhaps 3-4m (H) of sandstone wall (width about 6m), then the balcony as you see. It is westerly facing and generally gets full sun. I'm in Sydney Australia - long growing period, mild short winters (min temp 5C and pretty rare), hot humid summers (temps over 30C regularly). I would guess zone 11? Soil is good and water not currently as issue. It is likely to get pretty hot against that wall in summer though.

I would ideally like the rose to slowly cover the sandstone wall at the base of the house, curl up over the balcony and also up the pillars at the sides. Even around under the roof line at the front would be nice. I understand I'll have to provide support. Hardy vigorous options preferred, I would prefer not to spray this one given it's a tricky spot. Happy to feed and prune/tidy. Repeat-flowering would obviously be nice but I'd consider spring-flowering if there were also hips. Preferred colours would be white, pale pink or apricot. I like the look of smaller, clustered flowers as much as large single blooms.

Options I've considered are Mme Alfred Carriere, Renae, climbing Duchesse de Brabant, Kiftsgate, Alberic Barbier or Ghislande de Feligunde. Any suggestions or ideas very welcome! Thanks!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!