SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aaroncg72

Bamboo Shoot Hardening?

Aaron Gilbert
9 years ago

Hi all,

How long or at what height can it be said that the clumping bamboo shoots (varieties listed below) have sufficiently hardened to not be edible/palatable to squirrels?

A little background: We planted a few dozen clumping bamboos in the fall of 2012 to form a living screen in our back yard, including Fargesia nitida, Fargesia robusta 'Campbell', Fargesia robusta 'Wolong', Fargesia scabrida, and Thamnocalamus tesselatus, all one gallon plants. They have done well and are healthy. Our robusta and scabrida started sending up shoots in early February this year, and at a vastly more generous rate than the two previous springs - increasing the number of culms by 400-500%, awesome!! I roughly estimated we had at least 150 new shoots among a dozen plants.

However, we live in a highly wooded area - over a dozen large trees in our back yard, with many more on the neighbors' property on all sides. As a result, we've always had a large squirrel population. And unfortunately, they seem to love eating the new bamboo shoots. I thought we had the problem solved, since they had barely touched our shoots for the past two months. We are keeping them well fed with generous portions of sunflower seeds, as well as spraying animal repellant on all the new shoots. So I was greatly disheartened to come out last week and find out they had eaten about 75% of the new shoots! On several plants they ate every single shoot. On others, they severed the shoots but didn't eat them, just left them laying on the ground, how rude! Most of the eaten ones were already 2-3' high, though some were only a foot or so.

I have read that the only true solution (short of camping outside permanently with a gun and picking off every single squirrel indefinitely - not an option) is to use physical barriers. To that end, I got some PVC pipe, cut it into 2' lengths, and have put it around most the shoots that are left. I need more pipe since I underestimated the number of shoots. :) Ironically, this is only really possible now that they have been thinned out, as the shoots were previously too close together to get an individual pipe around each shoot.

Obviously I need to remove the pipe at some point before the shoots either get too tall (guess I could use a stepladder) or branch out too much to safely remove the pipe. But I'm not sure how long it will be before the shoots have become sufficiently protected against the voracious squirrels. I would like to be able to cut back the amount of seeds we're putting out at some point, as we're probably spending $50 a month on seed right now - could have just bought bigger bamboo!!

Cheers,

Aaron

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting