SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilygreenie

How to finish off my gritty/5:1:1 mix?

emilygreenie
9 years ago

Hey all,

I have finally started mixing my ingredients for my container citrus trees. I live in the hot desert so am making a mix based on 5:1:1, with a little more water retentive qualities. So far I have mixed 2 parts screened composted bark, 2 parts reptibark, 1 part screened Napa floor dry, and 1 part screened perlite.

All particles are under 1/2". And all particles are sifted to remove tiny pieces and dust. Right now it looks closer to a gritty mix than a 5:1:1, I just can't really decide what to add now. I don't want to make a big mistake. I was planning to add one part of the composted bark but thought I should get an opinion before doing so because once added I would never be able to get it back out!

Here are my material choices::

Sphagnum peat moss

More of the composted bark that has not yet been screened (it is about 50% bark, 50% compost dust and sapwood.)

Reptibark

The compost that I screened out of the 2 pts composted bark in the mix (really fine bark dust, etc)

More perlite or floor dry

And I have garden lime and Osmocote plus

Any quick advice would be great. I would like to start repotting today. It has taken me about 3 weeks to get to this point so I am eager to start re potting!! Thanks!

Emily

Comments (15)